Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100DS with DA50-200: Camera or Lens cause of Autofocus Problems?

Up until today I've never had real problems with the autofocus woes that I've read in many threads on this forum. Today, however, I was taking photos of a kickball game (using DA50-200) and found that my camera would not autofocus on fast-moving subjects -- experienced lots of hunting. In many cases the shutter wouldn't even release due to lack of focus.

Question -- is the inability to focus a camera problem, or a lens problem? It seems that many people attribute AF problems to the camera. Others suggest that their lens causes hunting. If the camera is the problem, would the K-5 perform any better than the K100DS in sports situations?

Thanks!

Last edited by magmotif; 07-16-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Lack of feedback
07-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

Original Poster
updated title to clarify nature of thread...
07-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's not a "problem" in the sense of a defect. More like asking why your Honda Civic won't accelerate from 0 to 60MPH in under 5 seconds like the Indy cars can. It's just a normal limitation of an older consumer model camera: focusing on fast moving objects is difficult. If your camera has an continuous autofocus mode (AF-C), that can help. Or the "Sports" mode on the dial (on some older cameras that was the only way to invoke AF-C mode).
07-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade my Civic to a K-5 -- tomorrow's the day

07-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magmotif Quote
I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade my Civic to a K-5 -- tomorrow's the day
Please let us know how that goes, especially how the AF works for the sports/motion that you mentioned above. I've got the K100dS also, and while I believe it to be a very nice camera even now, I've been frustrated with some sports photos. So I'm debating between K-5 and K-30. The K-5 would be more favorable if the AF was "fast enough". So, my question would be "Is it fast enough?"