Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

K5 Colour Balance with studio lighting

Hi Gang

I'm using the K5 for some home studio shoots....I use a Lastolite "grey card" at the beginning of each sitting to do a custom white balance.
But it come up slightly off, too red or pink.
My K20 works fine, am I doing something wrong, or has anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

07-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flash output may affect the color temperature, full power may have a slightly different cast than half power or 1/8th. Better lights are optimized to maintain consistent CT at all output levels, and some like the Paul Buff Einsteins, which use IGBT technology similar to speedlights, allow you to choose whether you want consistent CT or the shortest flash duration at various power levels. The best thing to do is set the output of your key light first, and then balance off of your gray card using just the key (gels on the background for instance might throw it off)

The other thing to consider is that white balance sets only one plane of correctness (the grays) in a 3-dimensional color space. To get 100% accurate color across the gamut you need to create an ICC profile for your camera. I highly recommend the X-rite Color Checker Passport if you're as obsessive as I am about accurate color.
07-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, make sure custom option C2-10 is set to Disabled (or is that Off ?). When enabled, the camera can auto-fine-tune the WB even when a preset is selected.
07-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Also, make sure custom option C2-10 is set to Disabled (or is that Off ?). When enabled, the camera can auto-fine-tune the WB even when a preset is selected.
Wow, really?! What an asinine "feature". I don't think my K20d has this but I'm off to check right now...

[edit: It does; custom option 12. It's been so long ago that I turned it off, that I forgot about it.]

07-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote

wow, thank you...will check
07-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The flash output may affect the color temperature, full power may have a slightly different cast than half power or 1/8th. Better lights are optimized to maintain consistent CT at all output levels, and some like the Paul Buff Einsteins, which use IGBT technology similar to speedlights, allow you to choose whether you want consistent CT or the shortest flash duration at various power levels. The best thing to do is set the output of your key light first, and then balance off of your gray card using just the key (gels on the background for instance might throw it off)

The other thing to consider is that white balance sets only one plane of correctness (the grays) in a 3-dimensional color space. To get 100% accurate color across the gamut you need to create an ICC profile for your camera. I highly recommend the X-rite Color Checker Passport if you're as obsessive as I am about accurate color.

Thank you I will check this out,
Just seems odd that its just the K5, and not the other two....
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, if you have better quality lights (I have the Einsteins myself) with consistent color temperature, you should be able to directly set the K20 to match the color temperature (e.g. 5600K) of the lights. This is assuming most of your light is coming from them - not being mixed with ambient or other light sources. Otherwise, with mixed lighting, an Expo Disc is an ideal solution.

The advantage of the Expo Disc is you're measuring the actual light falling on the subject, so all the variables of mixed lighting are automatically taken into account.

Last edited by DSims; 07-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.