Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AmericanMagpie Quote
I have no lens, bought the body only. I'll probably get a manual prime lens since I have developed a relatively decent eye from my days with the AT-1. Does anyone know off hand if there is an in-lens focusing assist for manual lenses? With Canon you had a circle with a line bisecting it, once both sides of the line were lined up you were in focus.
You don't need a decent eye to get an infocus shot with manual lenses. (I mean maybe you do XD) I also shoot manual lenses, the M 50 1.7 or A 50 1.7 is my favorite. Cheap lens with an awesome IQ. Fast and renders beautifully also very sharp wide open, I love the built of the M but I also like the convenience of the A. anway what I do is, AF.S, center point , catch in focus, shutter speed at con low. I press the shutter and it will only take an exposure once the subject I'm trying to focus at is in focus(If it's OOF I micro adjust to have it corrected, but luckly this has not happened to me yet with the manuals ). very convenient and it's free.

07-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AmericanMagpie Quote
Thank you all for the advice. There is a 17-50 listed for $300 that I'm strongly considering. I have had tons of exceptional experience with 50mm primes and will try and get one as well, If I can't afford both the prime will be on my christmas list.
Don't forget that the field of view of a 50mm on your K7 will not be the same as on your AT-1. To get the same field of view, you need approximately 35mm (50/1.5) on the K7.
07-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, out of my 30mm, 50mm and 85mm f/1.4 lenses, the less used is the 50mm... It's an awkward focal length IMO, neither wide enough nor intimate enough for kids shots...

Now, if you're mainly contemplating portraits, then the Tamron 28-75 is also a really good choice IMO. It starts as a true normal lens for APS-C (great for environmental portraits), and ends up as a nice telephoto for candid portraits. And it's sharp (and full frame, if you ever want to dabble in film, which is highly enjoyable!).
If you love a shallow depth effect, its limited f/2.8 aperture (compared to f/1.4 lenses!) is of little importance during the first year of your future baby : you won't be doing much far-distance environmental portraits until he starts running around, and you can always use the Brenizer trick at 75mm meanwhile, given that babies are quite slow-moving targets until they master their upright position.
You'll have to ponder your needs for the 18-28mm range but IMO, you'll be better with a cheap 18-55 WR to complement the 28-75 (so you'll be able to get soaked at bath time!), than with a 17-50/2.8...
DoF differences between f/2.8 and the kit lens' f/3.5 is quite negligible anyway, so you will gain more with the added 50-75mm range than with the (mere) extra stop in the 17-28mm range...

So, depending on your budget and your love for primes, I'd either go with the "18-55WR + 28-75 + a manual f/1.4 lens" solution, or a "sigma 30/1.4 + Samyang 85/1.4" combo (that is my favorite setup for weddings, BTW!)...
In both cases, you'll have to change the focusing screen, so have a look at the Canon EE-S screen (particularly recommended since you'll have fast lenses only!), also named "S-Type" over at FocusingScreen.com.

And do add a MZ-6 film body, for fun!

Last edited by dlacouture; 07-18-2012 at 04:52 AM.
07-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! I upgraded to DSLR when my now-3-year-old daughter was about 2 months. I bought the K200D body only and got the FA 50/1.4. That was my only lens for about a year, at which point I got the FA 35/2. Most of my photography subject matter is candid portraits of my daughter so the 50 was great for that.

I recently acquired an M 135/3.5 and so far I'm loving it because I can stand off a bit and not have to follow her closely everywhere to get portrait-style shots.

Don't ph34r the primes!

07-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #20

Original Poster
thank you all again for the outpouring of help and ideas, I am buying a Sigma mini-wide 28mm and I will be saving up for a good quality zoom lens.