Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

K-5 Sound when turning on camera/focus issue?

OK. I know I risk this being a really ignorant question, but I just have to ask as I did not notice this earlier. I am a brand new Pentax DSLR user. In fact, I have never owned a DSLR so I have alot to learn. I have done much photography in the past with an SLR, but there is much for me to get used to with my new camera.
My first question: What sound does the K-5 make when turning it on? I have heard the usual click sound that I am assuming is the mirror or shutter. Today I noticed a different sound right after that. It was a short low squeal. Does everyone's K-5 make these two sounds? I didn't notice the squeal until today, but it could have been there.

Second question. I seem to be having issues with focus. I think. It just doesn't seem as sharp as it should. I am using the WR 18-135. I tried a 50mm prime lens and it seemed better.
Just can't seem to get it right with this zoom. I have tried many different settings, Green, P, TV, AV, M. I changed the focus to spot focus to have more control over what it was actually focusing on. I had a HOYA UV filter on and took that off to see if it made a difference. (I guess the use of these filters can cause focus issues?)
Still it just seems not. quite. sharp. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe because it is a zoom and not letting as much light in as the prime? I know others say they use this lens as their primary everyday lens. Has camera shake been an issue for you? Most of my photos I'm experimenting with are outside in bright light. As I said, I have only had my camera a few days and have much to learn. Also, I have done the firmware update. Thanks for any advice you can give.

07-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few comments;

*When you turn on the K-5, you should hear the shake reduction (SR) and possibly the sensor cleaning (if you tick the box in setup). I always do a sensor cleaning at start-up. So what you hear seems fine.

* I suggest that you set the camera to centre focus: ie focus on the middle of the screen. Then redo your tests. I found centre-focus to be the most reliable to test a camera and lens system.

Hope that the comments will assist.
07-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Sir,

First, I have been shooting with my k-5 for about 10 months now, and have never had a low squeal. Not really sure what to tell you there. The click how ever is totally normal.

As for the focus issues you are having, well, there is a number of things that need to be looked at;

-what are you taking photos of?
-fast? slow moving?

-depending on that, what did you set your shutter speed to? ISO settings?

Light can be an issue when focusing since the camera needs it to focus, but if you are taking a photo of a child running, and your shutter speed is 1/60th second, chances are it will be a bit blury.

can you supplu more detail's as to what your taking pictures of? what sort of ambiant light...ect?
07-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
K-5 sound when turning on camera. Focus issue.

I am only taking photos of still objects. Most are in bright sunlight. Switched to Center Focusing and experimented with a variety of apertures. It's not blurred, just not as sharp as I believe it should be. I'm assuming as with a regular SLR, the higher the ISO the more grain I will have and therefore it won't appear as sharp? Correct? I have tried to do my tests of focus in bright light with the ISO setting at about 100-400. So when you turn on your camera you only hear the click? Nothing after that? I have not changed the factory setting on my camera regarding sensor cleaning. I will check that. Does it make a sound as well?

07-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
K-5 sound when turnng on camera/focus issue

Turned the dust removal off to experiment and sound went away. So I guess that sound is normal when that is selected at start up? Sound question solved I believe. Now to figure out if the focus is an issue.
07-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you have some samples to post so folks can help diagnose?
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sample photo

Here is an example. Focused on the Iris (long flat leaves in front) Using Center Focus. Keep in mind I was not thinking about composition!
Here is my info. Let me preface this with saying it is a very bright sunny day. The sun is at an angle behind me. Partially shaded. Of course I realize that at 1/50 and not on a tripod movement could cause the fuzziness. It just seems like as sunny as it is, I should not be at 1/50 with an ISO of 400. I have noticed this on many of the photos. I will upload another to show.

Exposure 1/50
Aperture: F16.0
On Manual using the meter in the view finder
Focal Lenght: 48mm
Sensing: 1- chip color area
Flash: 0ff
Metering: Pattern
ISO: 400
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Test Photo 2

I was focusing exactly on the word Mazda. It is VERY sunny and bright. The sun is shining directly on the back of the car. Center Focusing. Opinions, other than washing my car!

Info:
Shutter: 1/160
Aperture: f22
Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 88mm
Sensing: 1-chip color area
Flash: off
Metering: Pattern
ISO: 400

On this exact same shot when I open the aperture to 5.6 I am at 1/2500 shutter speed. 400 ISO.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Your f stop values are rather high and could be leading to diffraction problems. Try shooting at lower ISO, 100 for suny days is fine.
That lens probably has a sweet spot around f8-f11.
07-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

crew is right....i was gonna say the same thing about your aperture as well. Sunny days you could even drop it to ISO 80 and be fine. You have it correct, the higher the ISO, the more grain. That said ISO 400 is still great on the k-5, BUT, way to high for sunnny days, tie that into f22, and it could def cause focus issues.

I notice your first photo was shot at 1/50th of a second. I am guessing this was handheld? If so, that could cause blur issues as well and no be working in your favor. If your holding the camera, and focusing on still objects, I would be careful to go to far below 1/160. much less and you will cause it to blur (unless your a sniper by trade......then you could probably go a little lower )

I was gonna post an example or two, but Im finding every photo i post gets heavily compressed (down to 100K or less). If you would like to shoot me an email I'd be happy to send you some example photos with the setting I used, maybe you can test yours out to match....then go from there. I have a wide variety of photo examples too if that helps.....

Mike