Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #1

K-5 Settings help!

Hello Pentax community,

I recently purchased a Pentax k-5 here in London, and have had a good time shooting with it for the past week or so.
I have the camera in raw and jpeg, just in case I need the raw in the future.
Is there any settings to put the camera on, many of my jpeg shots look flat and I don't have the ability to process my raws.
Any modes or settings to get it right of the camera??

thanks - Jo Ramo
(I would carry on shooting raw + jpeg but it just takes to long to write)

07-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #2

If you press the button that is to the right of the ok button during shooting you can choose between presets like Natural, Bright, Monochrome etc. You can also adjust them to your liking. And in playback mode you can always click on the button with the 'flash' sign to change or crop the picture, add a digital filter etc.
I also use it for RAW shooting sometimes, e.g. when I want to shoot BW I can get a preview in BW by selecting Monochrome.
Easy does it.
Hope this helps!
07-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #3

Hi joramo,

I'm also new to the K5 - took my first ever shots yesterday and learnt a lot. Something you may find useful is checking out the full length review on this site, and in particular this page: Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Walkthrough - PentaxForums.com

"Start by setting your custom image setting (if you use JPEG) by pressing the right arrow button. We recommend the "Vibrant" image, with +2 for saturation and contrast, and +1 for sharpness. We found that this combination delivers appealing images; there will be a brief series of samples later on in the review illustrating this, even though this setting really depends on the individual more than anything else."

I'd suggest checking out the rest of the review and perhaps the one on DPreview too, since interesting or useful features are highlighted in a different way than in the manual. I am interested to hear you can't process RAW files though, is that a software issue or hardware?
07-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #4

You can also use the RAW button to swap in and out of Raw + mode if you need to - it's worth grabbing a raw in difficult lighting in case you are set up down the line for processing.

07-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by afterswish1 Quote
"Start by setting your custom image setting (if you use JPEG) by pressing the right arrow button. We recommend the "Vibrant" image, with +2 for saturation and contrast, and +1 for sharpness. We found that this combination delivers appealing images; there will be a brief series of samples later on in the review illustrating this, even though this setting really depends on the individual more than anything else."
I guess they're going for the overly punchy compact camera look. I find Vibrant has the least accurate colours of all the Image Tones. I use Portrait, with +1 sharpness. If I want to punch it up for nature etc, I add some contrast. Sometimes I use Reversal Film to add drama.

I only shoot in raw. For raw conversion I use the supplied Pentax software, which directly imports the camera settings. I can select any Image Tone I want and change any of the settings before I process. I suggest you try doing the same, joramo. There's no processing required if you get it right with the shot, but it's nice to be able to tweak, and of course sometimes raw will save a spoiled shot (e.g. wrong white balance, under/over exposure). You're going to want to shoot raw eventually, you may as well start now.
07-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI, I didn't like the +vibrancy. I found the images made the reds far too punchy - and purple, wow, they were strange. I know, it won't affect RAW but for a quick shapshot to web publishing if Jpg is good, I'll often use it. It's worth playing with, though. Find some nice summer flowers and start taking shots with different +/- settings for in-camera processing.

I'm getting better at using the RAW, though, so maybe I'm in a transition.

One thing I did with the camera though was set up a "fast shot" user pre-set. I used another person's recommended settings for that, I'm not sure where that thread is. Essentially it turns off much of the in-camera processing, presets to TAv with 1/500 exposure and f8 aperture. It lets the K-5 shoot very quickly.
07-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Man I SOOO wish that lightroom could import camera settings from the raw-files, like the pentax software can. I am bound to lightroom, and the pentax software is horrible. However, I cant find a good setting in lightroom to mimic my jgp's on import (I shoot with the bright setting). Manually editing all the photos is never going to happen, and shooting just jpg is not going to happen either since I like to have the opportunity to edit them. So I end up with thousands of flat, unedited photos just sitting there in lightroom :s
07-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you make a custom setting for that in Lightroom? I would think you could save a setting you're happy with - or a couple of them - as custom presets.

07-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

sorry for de-railing this post OP! TER-OR: I can in theory, but in practice I cant seem to find a good one to mimic the pentax processing.

<To get the post on topic again: you can try to set the camera setting to bright, and maybe push up the contrast and sharpness setting a stop or two. And to complicate things, you can turn the wheels on the camera in that menu for more options on sharpness etc.
07-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

IMHO shoot as RAW file, then process and convert to jpg in Light room. It can help you a lot to adjust your EV, WB, contrast,etc.......
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, I now know how to get my settings right!