Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dslr & ipad

Thinking of travelling light this year (Europe) & rather than take my laptop wondered if many people just use their Ipad ??

I bought a camera Connection Kit which is good for downloads but if I shoot RAW it will use up the Ipad Storage preety quick.

Any tips/pointers from those that just use their Ipad with their DSLR ??

07-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The New iPad and iPad 2 can work with full size files (up to 21MP). The iPad 1 is limited to 8MP.

Photogene is a good editor that can work with RAW files. It's a bit crash prone on my iPad 1 (lack of memory).

Photogene for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

I would suggest starting a flickr pro account and uploading all your files after editing.

There is also iPhoto for iPad. It can upload to flickr or to iCloud. Once you've uploaded you files to Photo Stream you can delete them from the iPad. You can re-download them at any time, but it only stores 1000 pictures and it only stores them for 30 days. A flickr pro account is unlimited. I don't know how good it is because it doesn't work on iPad 1.
07-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I've been doing what you're thinking of doing for about a year now. I've got an iPad 2 with 16gb of memory. I download the files I've shot during the day to the iPad but I don't delete them from the camera's memory card. If the memory card gets close to capacity i switch it out for another. With the files downloaded to the iPad I delete those that clearly aren't keepers, do a little editing on what's left, and upload a few to my Photobucket account using the Photobucket iPad app. I do most of my editing when I get back home through the regular process of downloading the files from the camera to my desktop machine. So the function of the iPad is mostly to satisfy my curiosity about the quality of the shots I've taken and to post a few shots online while I'm traveling for friends and family. Even though there are some photo editing apps for the iPad that are impressive, it is still a lot easier to process and edit photos on a desktop.

Russ
07-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok thanks......... I guess it was more about having a backup copy away from my camera card. Not sure the iCloud or Photobucket will work as well for me as I will be doing a lot of travel on trains and the internet cost would outweigh buying a few spare memory cards. I will probably follow oerlies (Russ) suggestion & just buy some extra memory cards and use my Ipad to view the days photos to upload a few for family & friends during my journey.

Cheers,
Arthur

07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Are you a MAC user? If so you can try to leverage iCloud/Photostream. Once you import to your ipad from your camera, it will then upload the files to your iCloud via Photostream then download to your MAC at home. 2 requirements for that.... Wifi Access & Your home MAC needs to be on and the photo app. Not sure how this would work with Windows..

I use my ipad for all my editing so this solution works great for me cause i never have to worry about syncing or backing up to my macbookpro at home. But again I am usually in a place that has wifi...

I am sure there are hotels you can just borrow the wifi from to transfer your pics.

I have also seen stand alone hard drives that have SD card readers and you can dump your pics onto the hard drive. So maybe import first to the ipad, review and edit and then also upload to the hard drive as a backup. Something like this - Portable Data Storage | B&H Photo Video

Anyhow.. safe travels!
08-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have used the portable drives before and they worked although SD cards nowadays are cheap that you can just buy spares so you can just store the ones you already filled up.
If you go the spare SD cards route, better get yourself a good storage box/bag for them so they won't be easily prone to damage.
Something like this: Vanguard MCC22 ABS Memory Card Case for 12 SD Cards MCC 22
or this: Pelican 0915 Memory Card Case, Black 0910-015-110
ot this: Vanguard MCC12 Aluminum Memory Card Case for 8 SD Cards MCC 12
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I just found a very simple app for the iPad that does raw conversion to JPG or TIFF. The only 2 settings is for highlights and shadows. Its called RawConverter2. $4.99 and so far its the most straight forward converter I have found for the iPad. Other apps like Filterstorm and PhotoRaw have some issues when saving... Filterstorm does not save exif data when exported to jpg. PhotoRaw saves the file at 72dpi rather than at the standard 300dpi.

RawConverter saves in 300dpi and keeps some of the basic exif data.

PhotoPurify.com

08-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #8

Is there any way to transfer files from your IPad to an empty SD card for backup purposes? As far as I know there isn't (maybe if it is jailbroken?).
08-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Is there any way to transfer files from your IPad to an empty SD card for backup purposes? As far as I know there isn't (maybe if it is jailbroken?).
Not without transferring the files to a computer first.
08-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What about moving files to dropbox or another cloud service?
08-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are just traveling for a week or two then using multiple SD cards or USB sticks should work fine to backup photos. For longer than that you can get a small external hard drive that will take months to fill up.

I would not count on using a cloud service since hotels are very hit and miss on how fast their wifi service is and uploading GB's at a time could be a frustrating experience. Sometimes I can't even upload 10 JPEG's to flickr much less an entire memory card of RAW files.
08-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
What about moving files to dropbox or another cloud service?
I use SugarSync and Dropbox with my iPad. Dropbox offers 2gb and SugarSync 5gb with their free accounts.

On the road, I occasionally use my iPad to view my photos but I have the 16gb iPad 1, so it isn't an ideal device for photography. Raw files fill it up FAST.