Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

A brief story to check your lenses BEFORE shooting!

So I stepped outside an hour ago or so to get some nice dusk macro shots of flowers and such with an experimentation of an extension tube set and an old 50mm prime. However, I noticed in the preview panel, after taking photos of some flowers, the shots were all very soft. every. single. one.

I had heard tons of great reviews of the lens for its sharpness so this perplexed me... perhaps I have a dud I thought..

I get back and review the photos on the PC and confirm, sure enough, the shots are all very soft.. disappointed.

A bit later I am taking shots with the setup inside wondering if it was just my subjects and my unfamiliarity with the new flash I have too. I notice most of these shots as well are all soft.. only ones that don't appear so soft are closeups of black text on a white sheet of copy paper (which I haven't loaded to the PC to confirm)

The tubes come off of the camera and I am about to connect just the 50mm to the body and notice something in the bright, reflective lighting from my ceiling -- I have a HUGE finger smudge on the rear optics; literally the entire rear of the lens has my big honkin', oily thumb print on it.

A bit of love from the lenspen, pop it back on the camera with the tubes.. shots aren't as soft anymore.

However, I also noticed that some (most) things reflect light, so dumping too much light will cause them to glow and thus also be a little soft in photo..

I'm learning the hard way.. but I'm learning, folks.

07-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to here it was something simple.
I thought you were going to warn about a fogged lens. This morning I decided to use an old lens that I havn't had on in a while. . After getting set up I looked thru the viewfinder and everything was white except the very center. My lenses outer element had partially fogged.
07-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
mee
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I never even considered the possibility of humidity affecting the lens in that manner.. I live in an extremely humid area.. hmmm Thanks for mentioning that, now I need to look into it.