Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help with bracketed exposures

I am using a K-5 with 5 exposure bracketing with 1EV increments for an HDR panorama. I use Liveview so I operate with mirror up and a remote shutter release. My problem is that when I trip the remote shutter I do not always get 5 exposures. I have not found a way to trigger the remote release so I only get 5 exposures. If I time it just right and release the shutter release after 5 clicks it works but I have to count the clicks. I'd like to trip the shutter and have the K-5 stop after taking the 5 exposure bracketed shots.

If I just hold the shutter release it takes the 5 shots but then it starts another sequence of 5 shots.

What is the proper way to set up the K-5 so that I trip the shutter, take the 5 shots, the K-5 stops, I move the camera and repeat the sequence.

07-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Moo

I don't have a K-5 so it's just a guess, but turn off continuous shooting? By remote, do you mean IR or wired?
07-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do a lot of bracketing and don't experience any problems. I just had a play, with a cable realise, one press and release and 5 shots fired, both in live view and without. I performed the same with the IR remote and still the same 5 shots fired after a press and release, just fired off 5 shots. I even changed the remote in bulb mode, which shouldn't affect it and it didn't. I don't count the shots, just fire away. Although a lot are hand held, I also use live view as you do. I also do a lot with the K-01 and it performs the same. Hope this helps.
07-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #4

Is one-push bracketing enabled? (Custom menu 9) By default it's off.

07-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am not sure about continuous shooting, I go to Drive Mode and use Exposure Bracketing. When I use a manual cable release I get 5 shots in succession but then the 5 shot sequence begins again after a pause. When I use the IR release I need to press the button 5 times.
07-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found my error. You have to hold down the shutter release until the 5 shots are taken. If you moe the shutter release to hold it then takes the 5 shots, pauses and then repeats the sequence. I have not found a way to just press a release once and release and have the K-5 take the 5 shot sequence and stop.
07-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do a fair amount of bracketing with my K5.

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am not sure about continuous shooting, I go to Drive Mode and use Exposure Bracketing. When I use a manual cable release I get 5 shots in succession but then the 5 shot sequence begins again after a pause. When I use the IR release I need to press the button 5 times.
It sounds like you are not pushing your wired remote release button down for the entire duration of the sequence. If you do not have one push bracketing enabled - you have to push and maintain the button depressed, or it will halt (when the button is released) part of the way through the 5 frame sequence.

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Is one-push bracketing enabled? (Custom menu 9) By default it's off.
With the one push bracketing enabled - you might also encounter the opposite problem. If you press the release and are slow in releasing the button, the camera (depending upon the lighting conditions), may fire off 5 frames extremely quickly, before you have the opportunity to release the button. In that case, the camera will initiate another sequence of 5 frames.

I might suggest that you go from 1 ev stop to 2 ev stops between frames. The sensor in the K5 is so good, you might as well capture all the dynamic range that is available to it. I got in the habit with my K20 of using 1 ev between frames in order to limit the sensor noise. No need for this with the K5.

07-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I didn't even know there was the menu to enable one button bracketing - thank you very much - so much simpler. Believe it or not when I dealt with Pentax I don't think they realized it either!. I will go to the to 2 ev as you suggest - This is for a spherical HDR pano of a cathedral so I may do a test sequence of 1.3, 1.7 and 2 to see the results before taking the entire sequence. Using a 35mm lens with 50% overlap I get about 2500 shots. I just bought an ac adapter so I don't have to change batteries.
07-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... This is for a spherical HDR pano of a cathedral so I may do a test sequence of 1.3, 1.7 and 2 to see the results before taking the entire sequence. Using a 35mm lens with 50% overlap I get about 2500 shots. I just bought an ac adapter so I don't have to change batteries.
You might also want to consider a spherical HDR pano using the DA 10-17. You only need 8 shots for full spherical coverage (6 around and 1 up and 1 down). Check out post #5 (the link) and 13 from Panoguy.
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry forgot about the one push bracketing, just always set the camera up automatically that way. glade it is sorted.
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
With the one push bracketing enabled - you might also encounter the opposite problem. If you press the release and are slow in releasing the button, the camera (depending upon the lighting conditions), may fire off 5 frames extremely quickly, before you have the opportunity to release the button. In that case, the camera will initiate another sequence of 5 frames.
No. With one-push bracketing, the K5 will take all of the exposures and then wait until the shutter is released before resetting to take another set. There is no risk of initiating a second set.
07-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
Moo

I am not sure about continuous shooting, I go to Drive Mode and use Exposure Bracketing.
Ahh, on the *ist D the bracketing is independent from the drive mode setting.