Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Sigma 24mm super wide II ricoh pin

Hi,

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

I have just bought a Sigma 24mm 2.8 super wide II.

I didn't know when I bought it, but it has a ricoh pin. (On the rear cap, it says for pentax K, Ricoh XR-P.)

I followed instructions to remove the pin.
These ones:
theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

The sigma lens was a bit different, but I manged to get the pin out.

I put the lens back together, and put it on my k-r.

In A position, it works fine. Can use Av, TV or manual. Can change aperature through the camera. All seems to be fine.

However, if I move it from the A position, there seems to be a problem. Moving the ring does change the size of the aperature, but it does it smoothly. It does not click from one position to another, but just slides between them.

I have to admit, I don't remember for sure whether or not it did this before I removed the pin. (That said, I think I would have noticed if it hadn't clicked between settings.)

Anyone have any idea what I might have done wrong? Any idea how I can fix it.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

Rob

07-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you lost the tiny little metal ball that actually provides the click - it would have happened when you removed the aperture ring. A small hole in the side houses a metal ball. When you rotate the ring, that ball provides resistance between notches on the inside.

If you have a powerful magnet, sweep the entire area you were working with it, you might be able to catch it (I've done this a few times....).
07-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh dear, that's not sounding good. Thanks anyway.

That said, does anyone have any experience of the super wide in particular. I wasn't aware of anything dropping out. Of course, that doesn't mean it didn't drop out. But the design of the sigma was quite different from the lens in the example I was following. I was wondering if (or maybe just hoping that) there is any chance that the pin on this model could be dual purpose. Actually, that's not really making sense is it. Can't see how that would work. Oh well. Guess I would mainly use it inthe A position anyway...

Thanks.
07-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I had the manual version of this lens and now I have the AF version. My manual one didn't have a Ricoh pin, so I've very, very surprised to hear that yours did.

Regarding the problem, I did the same thing to a Tokina zoom that did have a Ricoh pin. The zoom is apparently crap but I wanted to test it on digital. I just left it.

07-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Micro Tools sells these balls in various sizes. If you work on lenses they are handy.
07-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have some very small ball bearings that have the steels balls that should work for you. PM me and I can send you some.
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

People are obsessed with these Ricoh "pins". First of all, it did not need to be removed at all -- it is just a little spring-loaded button, not a hard pin. I think the only ones you'll find that need to be removed are on actual Ricoh lenses, but maybe a few others. (I've never seen any.) But all of these A lenses from Sigma, Vivitar, etc -- they are fine. (I've got the Sigma Super-Wide II, it is fine. I have old Vivitars with the supposed pin -- they are fine.)

Anyway, it is a universal law that if you take the aperture ring off, the little ball bearing is going to end up on the floor somewhere. This seems to be true even if you know about it, are really careful, have a magnetic parts tray and do the whole operation in larger tray of some sort. They all end up on the floor! (Ask me how I know.) Problem is when they don't just fall out, they spring out of there and fly who knows where. Maybe a plexiglass box with the two holes for your hands could keep it in the work area...
07-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Oh dear, that's not sounding good. Thanks anyway.

That said, does anyone have any experience of the super wide in particular...
I also have a manual focus Super Wide II and a couple other Sigma lenses from the same era. None of them had the "Ricoh" pin. I like these Sigmas. They are very sharp with good build quality. I am not sure if it is worth it to get yours fixed though unless you can do it yourself. They don't always command a large price.

07-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Oh yeah, sometimes they actually don't end up on the floor, but are still in the ring, just not in the little nub where they are supposed to reside. It can be quite difficult to get them back where they are supposed to be even if you haven't lost it, but check in the grooves of the ring itself...
07-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When I do these operations I put the lens in a gallon ziploc and separate the parts while I reach into the bag. I has saved me each time as something always invariably jumps out.
07-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

This is the one I have. It does have the Ricoh pin. There's an older KA-mount version with a pointier pin, and an even older K mount (no A position) with no pin. The version with AF probably doesn't have a pin either.

As others have suggested, the ball bearing probably fell out. On my version, the mount comes off with three screws (chrome) in the mount and one (black) in the side of the lens body. Then you can lift off the mount, then the aperture ring. Flip over the ring and you'll see some "teeth" molded in it; these are what the ball bearing clicks into. The bearing is supposed to be in a hole around the lens body's edge, almost directly opposite the white bump used for lens mounting. It's about 90 degrees from the white line focus/aperture mark. If you are lucky, the bearing fell into the groove at the lens body edge. It looks like it's maybe 1mm (can't find calipers) and you can buy them from Micro-Tools. The bearing is supposed to sit on top of a tiny spring. The worst-case scenario is the spring is also missing. I don't know where to find this size spring. I'd just put the lens together again and forget about it if the spring is gone.

It used to cut the resale value a lot to lose this bearing. Today, people using these lenses for video love having aperture control without clicks, and pay to have others modify their lenses.
07-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Today, people using these lenses for video love having aperture control without clicks, and pay to have others modify their lenses.
Hey that is a great idea! Thanks for mentioning that, I may go back now and modify a couple I use also
07-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks everyone. When I get home, I might have another look, and if the ball is still in there may have a go at fixing it. Otherwise, I'll probably just leave it as it is. On digital, I would always have it in auto setting anyway.

Thanks

Rob