Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Another Long Exposure question

I'm starting to get used to my very recently acquired K2000 camera and can't find an answer to this question.
Since I hook the camera up to one of my telescopes, I tried shooting some longer "BULB" exposures and it seems the camera processes (?) the results after the shutter closes. This processing takes as long as the actual exposure.
Is this a normal thing for all DSLRs or only for the Pentax variety?
It sort of sux that a 2 minute exposure will take up 4-5 minutes before the camera can take another shot.
Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bernd

07-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay this is an issue that is caused by the camera doing its noise reduction thing. With our K20D it cannot be turned off. With the K5 and K-01 it can and the camera is ready as soon as the shutter closes. Look for a menu item that allows the noise reduction turned off. There could be a couple places, long exposure and high ISO.
07-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Okay this is an issue that is caused by the camera doing its noise reduction thing. With our K20D it cannot be turned off. With the K5 and K-01 it can and the camera is ready as soon as the shutter closes. Look for a menu item that allows the noise reduction turned off. There could be a couple places, long exposure and high ISO.
On the K20D there is a lever on the back to switch off the Noise Reduction.
In any case, yes, the reason is the noise reduction. In this particular case it's not important and you can switch it off, if your camera allow you to do.
07-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I will look into this and turn it off if possible. If not, well. I guess I'll live with it.

07-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
On the K20D there is a lever on the back to switch off the Noise Reduction.
In any case, yes, the reason is the noise reduction. In this particular case it's not important and you can switch it off, if your camera allow you to do.
Are you sure you don't have that confused with the Shake Reduction lever?
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #6

Re: K20D - from the manual:

page74 (custom menu):
17. Slow Shutter Speed NR Sets whether to allow the camera to select when to reduce noise or to reduce noise only when shooting at slow shutter speeds. p.80
18. High-ISO Noise Reduction Sets whether to use Noise Reduction when shooting with a high ISO. Select from three levels. p.80

page 80:
Noise Reduction
When you use a digital camera to shoot with a long exposure or high sensitivity setting, image noise (image roughness or unevenness) becomes noticeable.
You can reduce image noise by using Noise Reduction. Images shot with Noise Reduction take longer to save. Set in [17. Slow Shutter Speed NR] or [18. High-ISO Noise Reduction] in the [A Custom Setting] menu.
-Slow Shutter Speed NR
Auto: The camera determines the conditions such as the shutter speed, sensitivity, and internal temperature, and automatically reduces noise as necessary.
On: Reduces noise only when shooting at slow shutter speeds (0.3 seconds or more).
- High-ISO Noise Reduction
Select the level of noise reduction from [Off], [Weakest], [Weak], or [Strong] when shooting with a high-sensitivity setting

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off completely.
07-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Are you sure you don't have that confused with the Shake Reduction lever?
You are right! Sorry, I was thinking about the Shake reduction!! Sorry!!

07-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one reason, not the only one, that I think my wife was keen to get a K30. With the K20D it takes so long to write the file when shooting star trails. Even stacking 30" exposures, that is shot for 30 wait for 30 and on it would go, leaving 30 second gaps between trails.