Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
questions about dry box

I have recently got a dry cabinet and can anybody tell me if it the box only controls humidity or also controls temperature. If it only regulates humidity then I don't have to worry about a temp diff between the inside of the box and the room causing condensation when I first remove the gear. I am trying to decide whether I should keep it in an air conditioned room or not.

07-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't say for your specific box, because I've seen both. If it has no electrical connection, then it certainly only dehumidifies, most like using a silica gel dessicant you need to condition periodically. Even if it uses electricity, it PROBABLY only dehumidifies. But I've seen some high-end chambers, usually called environmental chambers, not drying cabinets, which control the temperature AND humidity.

Are there any identifying marks, model, maker, etc.?
08-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My dry cabinet only controls humidity.

Doesn't yours have a guage that indicates temperature and humidty? If not, just stick a thermometer in there and see if yours stays at room temperature.
08-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it controlled temp and humidity wouldn't there be temp and humidity controls as well as temp and humidity gauges? I think you could also tell by touch if your lenses were cold enough to cause condensation. In the end I'm guessing that you bought a $100ish dollar humidity only cabinet that is similar to mine.

My cabinet has already paid for itself because I ended up swimming with my camera (in a waterproof bag) last weekend and the inside of the kit lens fogged up really bad. It didn't show any signs of drying out on the last two days of my trip but it dried out in 10 hours overnight in the cabinet.