Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It's unlikely that the memory card has anything to do with it. From what you describe, it sounds like a white balance issue. Is it set on AWB?

yes it is i double checked that.

07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Is your monitor calibrated? Maybe the camera is fine and your computer is off. Anyhow, all we can do is guess unless you post some pictures, preferably with Exif intact.
07-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I got a new camera, Adobe Camera RAW was the problem. Their profile was much different than I was used to.This would only be your problem if you're shooting RAW and your RAW converter is using an unusual/incorrect profile for your camera.
07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi - this is the 35th photo I took with it, the car is so not that colour. (it is like a soft barbie pink -in this photo the pink is so bright you can't really see the flowers) I had it set to JPEG only the EXIF is attached. any help you guys can give me would be really appreciated. (I have tried adjusting the ISO so it can't go past 200, I don't know if that helped or if I am desperate to see an improvement) thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Is your monitor calibrated? Maybe the camera is fine and your computer is off. Anyhow, all we can do is guess unless you post some pictures, preferably with Exif intact.
I Posted a pic - and i thought about the monitor - but my photos from the Kr look fine, I emailed the pink car photos to work... boohoo! they look horrible there too.
07-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It does look like too much magenta in that shot. Well, if you're shooting jpeg, check the custom image settings. The default on the K-r is "bright" which I didn't much care for, preferring the "natural" setting on the odd occasion I shoot in jpeg. Perhaps something is changed in those settings, or perhaps the K-30 is just different in its defaults, I don't really know as I haven't had an opportunity to use one.

Also, what kind of results do you get if you shoot raw?
08-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It does look like too much magenta in that shot. Well, if you're shooting jpeg, check the custom image settings. The default on the K-r is "bright" which I didn't much care for, preferring the "natural" setting on the odd occasion I shoot in jpeg. Perhaps something is changed in those settings, or perhaps the K-30 is just different in its defaults, I don't really know as I haven't had an opportunity to use one.

Also, what kind of results do you get if you shoot raw?
I used Lightroom and pulled back the magenta and made a few other adjustments and the shots look better as far as the colour goes. (thank you) the Raw photos seem to be a little better for colour- but I have not had a chance to take more photos of the pink car. I played with the white balance settings on the camera and still most shots seem 'bright'. I am puzzled, I hope I didn't get a dud. thanks again!
08-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

In addition to WB there is also the custom image settings (mentioned previously) that could be affecting your photo. Try setting it to natural as suggested. This is the menu where you pick from landscape, portrait, bright, natural, vibrant, etc...

08-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
In addition to WB there is also the custom image settings (mentioned previously) that could be affecting your photo. Try setting it to natural as suggested. This is the menu where you pick from landscape, portrait, bright, natural, vibrant, etc...
thank you - all changed to 'natural' - I will check it out after work ! :-)
08-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as I know, you only have warranty protection if you buy through an authorized dealer. I'd be a bit surprised if a drug store falls into this group.
London Drugs is definitely an authorized dealer - the name is misleading they sell a ton of electronics - funnily enough when i was in Victoria on the weekend i went in for a battery and film and the K30 prices were higher than Ontario - London drugs is usually very aggressive
08-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HI, so I tried changing the settings, (set from bright to natural) and I am still getting funky pinks and oranges and reds, all the other colours seem fine. Does anybody have any ideas on what I should try setting the camera at? I don't want to have to process every single photo i get good results with RAW when I adjust them. but the JPEG's are horrible. Please and Thanks - any idea's would be great! Could it be something in the camera that is off?
08-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hi this is the orange mess ..... Is this normal for a camera to have these colours so way off? am I too fussy? why is it only the red / orange / pinks ???

PS - is shooting in muted a bad thing? that seems to be the best so far ?????? (a little too light, but not bright X 10 )

Ok so I went into the bright setting and then into Parameter Adj. and took the Saturation down to the lowest it would go, and now the pink seems ok... but I guess I will have to see what it does to all the other colouors. Is this kind of thing normal? I didn't have to do this with my K-r.

edit - (well they looked ok in the camera, but once they were loaded they look horrible too)
Attached Images

Last edited by tweet25; 08-02-2012 at 10:12 PM.
08-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by poseur Quote
i double and triple confirm it will work. using my leftover kr battery adapter on my k30 now after i sold my Kr years ago.
how do you like your K30? and what did you use for a camera between the Kr and K30?
08-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #29

Too me it seems like an color profile problem. If you simply overwrite the camera color profile, instead of converting, it can look really weird. I convert all my photos from adobeRGB (in the camere) to proPhotoRGB in Photoshop. If i simply overwrite, or discard the camera profile, it looks somewhat like your examples. This can be done automatically depending on your settings. I have set it to ask for each picture, so i don't make mistakes.