Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #1

Thumping clicking sound in video record mode

I bought a K-7 from a forum member a few months ago and was having problems with a clicking or thumping sound every time I tried to shoot video. It is quite loud and at a regular rhythm, probably about 4 clicks a second or so. I turned off the shake reduction in the movie menu but still had the noise. I just went in today to give it another try and in the movie menu I set the movie aperture control to "fixed" from "auto". Noise is gone! I'm using an old 50mm f1.7 manual lens and I guess the sound was the camera trying to control the aperture.

I thought I would share since I couldn't find a thread when I was having the problem. I hope it helps someone else.

08-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the post! That's definitely one possible cause of the clicking one. On the K-5, there another potential cause which has something to do with Pentax's AVI codec. If you upload a video from the k-5 straight to youtube, you'll also get a weird clicking noise that can be removed if you re-encode the file. This bugs the hell out of me, as the only program that seemed to get the job done properly was premiere pro (at least for me).
08-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
update

I had seen a few posts about the problem you mentioned. After posting my comment last week, I found some additional complications. Sometimes I actually have to switch back and forth between "fixed" and "auto" in the movie aperture control setting a couple of times to get the noise to stop! One of my three lenses was least problematic - i think it was my newest lens (20 yr old kit lens from an old PZ-10).
08-05-2012, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It means you have run out of film and the end is slapping as the take-up reel is still spinning.

Oops - wrong century....

08-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
pbs
Inactive Account

Adam,

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. I have a new K-5 and have the same problem. The .avi files are fine but when I convert them to MP4 they have a horrible clicking sound that repeats approx. every second. Has anybody discovered a fix? Is there a new codec for the camera? Might it be a problem with Windows 7? (an obsolete Windows codec?)

I'm frustrated - have searched all over the WEB and no joy yet.

Thanks!

Peter