Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wwud?

Hello everyone! こんいちわ!
What would you do?
I am making photography a serious hobby now. I'm really creative with my shots and angles/perspectives. I'm not that familiar with all the numbers on the lenses and DOF/F stop techniques and all that but I'm excited to learn! So with that being said, I'm going to take my hobby to the next level! I'm going from a very nice Point and Shoot camera to a Pentax K-5 and I will pick it up this wednesday. With that being said...I have a few questions...

1. With what you know now, had you known it back then, what would you do differently or better when you first got your new
K-5?

2. What is a good lens upgrade for this camera? Wide/Zoom

3. Any "must haves" to get with this camera for a beginner?

4. Any concerns or considerations I should know about?

5. What is a good source to learn about all the numbers on lenses and F Stops and DSLR photography in general?

I did hear that the K-5 has a firmware update but that's about it.

Thank you and Semper Fi!

07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) Read the manual. Cover to cover, twice
2) You do not say which lens you are getting? I would start with the DA 18-135mm it is a good all around lens and will be fine until you learn more. Don't worry too much about getting lenses until you have learned the camera. Take 5,000 shots learn all you can about what you like shooting, then worry about lenses.
3) Good carry strap, good bag, micro-fibre cloth and giottos blower, Lightroom to process pictures.
4) Update the firmware, thoroughly test the camera to make sure it is all working properly so you can return within return period if something is not right. No real concerns anymore, in the early days there were some QC problems, everything seems straightened out now.
5) This forum, search old threads almost anything you can think of has been asked and answered. Brian Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure". Go buy this now and read it, twice. Trust me the time will be well spent.

QuoteOriginally posted by shocktroop5811 Quote
I'm really creative with my shots and angles/perspectives. I'm not that familiar with all the numbers on the lenses and DOF/F stop techniques
Oddly, I am trying to teach my daughter in law photography and the same is true of her. She has more creativity in her left thumb than I do in my whole life. But without understanding all the numbers and technical details she will never improve and she is frustrated because she can SEE what she wants it to look like but will not take the time to learn how to do it. I on the other hand have essentially zero creativity so I muddle through by learning the technical details.

Good luck with your k-5, and welcome aboard!
07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Battery grip, extra batteries, Gittos Rocket Blower, solid tripod, 1 prime lens to start, and practice.

Read this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171466-w...lped-most.html
07-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi shocktroop5811
Get the IR remote control - cheap and handy.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-remote-control-f.html
+1 on Rocket Blower. The small sized one is OK and takes up less space than the larger one in your bag.
+1 on a couple of nice micro fiber lens cleaning cloths - same as the type you get for cleaning glasses.

07-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
CMG

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
1) Read the manual. Cover to cover, twice
2) You do not say which lens you are getting? I would start with the DA 18-135mm it is a good all around lens and will be fine until you learn more. Don't worry too much about getting lenses until you have learned the camera. Take 5,000 shots learn all you can about what you like shooting, then worry about lenses.
3) Good carry strap, good bag, micro-fibre cloth and giottos blower, Lightroom to process pictures.
4) Update the firmware, thoroughly test the camera to make sure it is all working properly so you can return within return period if something is not right. No real concerns anymore, in the early days there were some QC problems, everything seems straightened out now.
5) This forum, search old threads almost anything you can think of has been asked and answered. Brian Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure". Go buy this now and read it, twice. Trust me the time will be well spent.

Oddly, I am trying to teach my daughter in law photography and the same is true of her. She has more creativity in her left thumb than I do in my whole life. But without understanding all the numbers and technical details she will never improve and she is frustrated because she can SEE what she wants it to look like but will not take the time to learn how to do it. I on the other hand have essentially zero creativity so I muddle through by learning the technical details.

Good luck with your k-5, and welcome aboard!
I'm taking your advice too! I have the same frustration....see it in my mind's eye but don't yet have the technical skills to make it happen in the camera....and I'm not looking to shoot whatever and then fix it in post processing. I'm going to read Peterson's book and try to get through my K-5 manual again.
07-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I agree

I believe if we use the camera's features what they were made to do and understanding how it works then we should be able to take good quality photos and leave the blemishes and special effects to software. I believe that creativity has a role, but I'd say about 20% and that's an uneducated guess. I'd say let the camera do most of the work. I'm very creative with my shots and they all came out really good under good conditions and I was using iAuto on my amazing Panasonic DMC-ZS7 point and shoot! But like I said, I want to take my skill and enhance it with the technical side of photography. As for my short wish list of things to get Ive decided on the following:

Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye" / "Mind"
Brian Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure"
Tamarac Evolution Camera bag
Giottos Rocket Blower
A Lens cleaning pen
Microfiber Cloth

Still undecided as to what zoom lens I want because there are so many choices. But I'm going to take lots of photos with the kit lens first before I get a more expensive zoom lens. Plus this will give me time to save up for a good one!
07-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Science behind the art, and art in the science. Can't have one without the other in photography

07-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here are a couple of web-based camera simulators which will help you visualize the relationship between Shutter Speed, ISO, and Aperture.

The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

CameraSim simulates a digital SLR camera - SLR Photography Demystified

Tim
07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Magic Lantern guide for K-7 applies to the K-5, and makes a good companion to the K-5's manual. Some things are explained much better in the ML guide, but some things are left out.

A couple older manual prime lenses are a great idea. Even the ubiquitous M50 f/2 can be used to good effect on the K-5. These lenses make you think about everything you do with the camera, but the K-5 (like the -10, -20, -7) are very well-designed to use in full manual mode.

Each of my camera cases has a lens pen and some cleaning cloths. The larger bags also have blowers. You should be fine as long as you don't swap lenses too frequently - but it's better to have them and not need them...
07-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The Magic Lantern guide for K-7 applies to the K-5, and makes a good companion to the K-5's manual. Some things are explained much better in the ML guide, but some things are left out.

A couple older manual prime lenses are a great idea. Even the ubiquitous M50 f/2 can be used to good effect on the K-5. These lenses make you think about everything you do with the camera, but the K-5 (like the -10, -20, -7) are very well-designed to use in full manual mode.

Each of my camera cases has a lens pen and some cleaning cloths. The larger bags also have blowers. You should be fine as long as you don't swap lenses too frequently - but it's better to have them and not need them...
I got the PDF manual that Yvon Bourque put together and found it much easier to navigate than the Pentax Manual that came with the K-5.
PENTAX DSLRs: The instruction manual that should have come with the Pentax K-5. Maybe this is it.
07-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
CMG

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Science behind the art, and art in the science. Can't have one without the other in photography
I agree...the science sustains the creativity.