Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
K-5 flash not functionning ... any advice

Bonjour,

The onboard flash of my K-5 recently stop working ... nothing since I shot a recital about a month ago. I have tried to several "reset" scenarios but no positive results and my Metz 44A flash works without any problem.

I am fairly sure that I have to send it in for warranty repair (K-5 purchased in Oct 2011 and has a 4 year extended warranty), and I wanted to know if anyone has had similar difficulties. Once the summer vacation season is over (August), I will take it in for service ... I just wanted to glean some info prior to sending it off for a couple of weeks ...Thanks in advance for any input.

Salut, John le Frog

07-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
New Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cph.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10
Hi

I had exactly the same problem. Sent it in under warranty, they replaced the mainboard.
Works perfectly now .
09-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
Original Poster
Bonjour,

Just FYI for any interested person ... Just got the K-5 back (in less than three weeks time) and the bulb was replaced ... that's all there was to it and I was told that this is rather rare, oh well. At the same time I ask that the AF to be checked and it was adjusted ... seems better since I had some slight suspected front focus issues.

Allez et A+, J

10-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: us
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 53
got same problem flash wont fire, called pentax, im out of warranty 2 months now and its gonna be minimum 400 charge for fix it, from what ive been told, that sux

10-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
got same problem flash wont fire, called pentax, im out of warranty 2 months now and its gonna be minimum 400 charge for fix it, from what ive been told, that sux
Sorry to hear that ... but, $400 sounds really expensive IMHO, that is if it's only the bulb ... good luck and as the French say, "Bon courage" ... J
10-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: us
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 53
is there any way to check if its bulb i mean if it is, is it possible for regular user to fix it ?
10-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
is there any way to check if its bulb i mean if it is, is it possible for regular user to fix it ?
Sorry, not that I know of ... I really have no info on this ... J
10-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 208
QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
got same problem flash wont fire, called pentax, im out of warranty 2 months now and its gonna be minimum 400 charge for fix it, from what ive been told, that sux
The flash bulb is not an incandescent light bulb where you can check a filament's continuity. It is a xenon discharge lamp. It has three terminals, an anode, a cathode and a trigger/field terminal. You have to energize it with approximately 300VDC across the anode and cathode and then apply a trigger voltage to cause a discharge. It is extremely rare for xenon tubes to fail. It is more likely that the charging circuitry, or the triggering circuit or a control circuit has failed. If all these are integrated on the main board then you may have to replace the entire main board unless you can perform a component level repair, which even most repair/service technicians are not competent enough to diagnose and perform.

10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
The flash bulb is not an incandescent light bulb where you can check a filament's continuity. It is a xenon discharge lamp. It has three terminals, an anode, a cathode and a trigger/field terminal. You have to energize it with approximately 300VDC across the anode and cathode and then apply a trigger voltage to cause a discharge. It is extremely rare for xenon tubes to fail. It is more likely that the charging circuitry, or the triggering circuit or a control circuit has failed. If all these are integrated on the main board then you may have to replace the entire main board unless you can perform a component level repair, which even most repair/service technicians are not competent enough to diagnose and perform.
Thanks for your message ... The salesperson at my B&M camera shop said that it was rare for a bulb to go out ... and the warranty repair statement indicates that only the bulb was replaced and not the mainboard ... and like I wrote, the K-5 was still flash capable with the Metz ... so go figure. J
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flash, k-5, pentax help, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flash advice metaphiston Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 22 08-27-2012 12:33 PM
K-R flash advice sharepointalex Pentax K-r 2 06-28-2012 07:25 AM
Flash Advice hal_a Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 03-10-2011 02:50 PM
i need some advice with an old flash i got? lguckert79 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 01-28-2011 05:14 PM
Sigma 530 Super flash doesn't fire multi flash, any advice? pasipasi Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-25-2010 02:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top