Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 flash not functionning ... any advice

Bonjour,

The onboard flash of my K-5 recently stop working ... nothing since I shot a recital about a month ago. I have tried to several "reset" scenarios but no positive results and my Metz 44A flash works without any problem.

I am fairly sure that I have to send it in for warranty repair (K-5 purchased in Oct 2011 and has a 4 year extended warranty), and I wanted to know if anyone has had similar difficulties. Once the summer vacation season is over (August), I will take it in for service ... I just wanted to glean some info prior to sending it off for a couple of weeks ...Thanks in advance for any input.

Salut, John le Frog

07-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #2

Hi

I had exactly the same problem. Sent it in under warranty, they replaced the mainboard.
Works perfectly now .
09-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bonjour,

Just FYI for any interested person ... Just got the K-5 back (in less than three weeks time) and the bulb was replaced ... that's all there was to it and I was told that this is rather rare, oh well. At the same time I ask that the AF to be checked and it was adjusted ... seems better since I had some slight suspected front focus issues.

Allez et A+, J

10-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
got same problem flash wont fire, called pentax, im out of warranty 2 months now and its gonna be minimum 400 charge for fix it, from what ive been told, that sux

10-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fafo13 Quote
got same problem flash wont fire, called pentax, im out of warranty 2 months now and its gonna be minimum 400 charge for fix it, from what ive been told, that sux
Sorry to hear that ... but, $400 sounds really expensive IMHO, that is if it's only the bulb ... good luck and as the French say, "Bon courage" ... J
10-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
is there any way to check if its bulb i mean if it is, is it possible for regular user to fix it ?
10-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
is there any way to check if its bulb i mean if it is, is it possible for regular user to fix it ?
Sorry, not that I know of ... I really have no info on this ... J
10-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
The flash bulb is not an incandescent light bulb where you can check a filament's continuity. It is a xenon discharge lamp. It has three terminals, an anode, a cathode and a trigger/field terminal. You have to energize it with approximately 300VDC across the anode and cathode and then apply a trigger voltage to cause a discharge. It is extremely rare for xenon tubes to fail. It is more likely that the charging circuitry, or the triggering circuit or a control circuit has failed. If all these are integrated on the main board then you may have to replace the entire main board unless you can perform a component level repair, which even most repair/service technicians are not competent enough to diagnose and perform.

10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
The flash bulb is not an incandescent light bulb where you can check a filament's continuity. It is a xenon discharge lamp. It has three terminals, an anode, a cathode and a trigger/field terminal. You have to energize it with approximately 300VDC across the anode and cathode and then apply a trigger voltage to cause a discharge. It is extremely rare for xenon tubes to fail. It is more likely that the charging circuitry, or the triggering circuit or a control circuit has failed. If all these are integrated on the main board then you may have to replace the entire main board unless you can perform a component level repair, which even most repair/service technicians are not competent enough to diagnose and perform.
Thanks for your message ... The salesperson at my B&M camera shop said that it was rare for a bulb to go out ... and the warranty repair statement indicates that only the bulb was replaced and not the mainboard ... and like I wrote, the K-5 was still flash capable with the Metz ... so go figure. J