Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,005
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I bought a foot for a Pentax flash and a shutter switch for a K200D before Ricoh bought Pentax. I bought from Pentax parts dept., not Pentax service dept. I don't believe Pentax service will sell parts.
Other people said they got parts from the parts dept just fine -- I just couldn't get the person to acknowledge me at all. I left messages, emails -- no response. I was tempted to go down there and just ask (they are local to me here in Aurora), but didn't want to make a pest of myself and I figured I'd botch the job anyway so I just gave up and sent it to CRIS. Some other thread around here on the same topic and that poster was able to get the parts and replace the viewfinder themselves. This was just a few months ago.

08-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Other people said they got parts from the parts dept just fine -- I just couldn't get the person to acknowledge me at all. I left messages, emails -- no response. I was tempted to go down there and just ask (they are local to me here in Aurora), but didn't want to make a pest of myself and I figured I'd botch the job anyway so I just gave up and sent it to CRIS. Some other thread around here on the same topic and that poster was able to get the parts and replace the viewfinder themselves. This was just a few months ago.
Your experience is the same as mine, although I would have gone down if it were local. I am not sure why some people get parts and seem to get descent service from the Pentax USA parts department and others get ignored.
08-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,005
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Your experience is the same as mine, although I would have gone down if it were local. I am not sure why some people get parts and seem to get descent service from the Pentax USA parts department and others get ignored.
It was quite unclear to me whether I'd be able to actually do anything with the part if I got it, and I was planning on selling the camera once repaired so I figured having the pros do it (and recalibrate levels and focus, etc while they were at it) was the best course.

But yeah, other people have said that they dealt with the exact same person I was trying to get a hold of and they were friendly and helpful, which is what encouraged me to try to get the parts to begin with. No such luck. It could be they are just very busy -- they are not a retail business after all and probably feel no obligation to deal with random people asking for a single $15 part even if they are sometimes willing...
08-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
By VF are you talking just the cracked plastic screen? They sell all kinds of screens for DSLR's. You don't need Pentax for one unless you want to go OEM and actually as long as you're replacing it why not put a better one in there and make it a selling point? I have an alternative one for better MF in my K-x and I don't need my original. Would that help you? I'm in the states too. But I'd put in a better one if it was me. Might get you more for your K5 if you're going to sell it.

08-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,273
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
By VF are you talking just the cracked plastic screen? They sell all kinds of screens for DSLR's. You don't need Pentax for one unless you want to go OEM and actually as long as you're replacing it why not put a better one in there and make it a selling point? I have an alternative one for better MF in my K-x and I don't need my original. Would that help you? I'm in the states too. But I'd put in a better one if it was me. Might get you more for your K5 if you're going to sell it.
he's talking the eyepiece on the back Mag, not the focusing screen.
08-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
Ah, okay. Sorry I'm more than a little dense the past day or so. Bad toothache. I cracked a tooth. I have to wait for my dentist to come back from vacation which means waiting till Weds. On major meds and antibiotics now but I'm really hurting and I'm definitely rather fuzzy. I'm not up to much right now. All I want to do is keep an ice block on my face and lie in bed, but I can't. Got work to do...
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,273
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Ah, okay. Sorry I'm more than a little dense the past day or so. Bad toothache. I cracked a tooth. I have to wait for my dentist to come back from vacation which means waiting till Weds. On major meds and antibiotics now but I'm really hurting and I'm definitely rather fuzzy. I'm not up to much right now. All I want to do is keep an ice block on my face and lie in bed, but I can't. Got work to do...
I know the feeling, i have a filling that has decided to split off (it had fixed a cracked tooth)
need to get in but it's a long weekend here so next week will be the earliest
fortunately the nerve is still covered in my case
10-29-2017, 06:58 AM   #23
Forum Member
rodaballo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 78
Hello and excuse me for rebirthing this old thread. I am having the same problem as fstdslrkx user at the beginning of this thread. My K5IIs is fine after a shock, but the external glass cracked. I opened the camera to remove the broken pieces form the viewfinder and now it's perfect and safe to use it. However, I am afraid that the lack of this external piece will compromise the camera's weather seal. I would be glad to hear any advices on where should it be possible to obtain these sort of parts for modern Pentax cameras, in 2017. Thank you mates!

10-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,874
I think the viewfinder parts are exactly the same as the K-7 and the other K-5 cameras. I have a K-7 parts list that shows a part number O-M301, Eyepiece Frame Assembly. That includes three eyepiece lenses, L4, L5, and L7, which are front, intermediate and rear - L7 is the one with the outside face and probably the one that you need. I am reasonably confident that the viewfinder glass parts are the same - I was able to use *ist DL parts to repair a K-r viewfinder.

If you can find an official parts source in Portugal or the EU, they may only want to sell you the assembly. Replacing the whole assembly might be better for confidence in the weather seal. Unofficially, you can scour eBay for parts or even whole cameras. A non-working K-7 should be pretty cheap.
10-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #25
Forum Member
rodaballo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 78
This is precious information, Just1MoreDave. I have found that O-M301 may be also present in the Z1 series. This could widen my research. Thanks a lot.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-5, pentax help, rock, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idea: Color OLED viewfinder overlay and hybrid viewfinder bwDraco Photographic Industry and Professionals 3 09-28-2012 05:17 PM
Cracked lcd pearsaab Pentax K-5 23 06-06-2012 08:23 PM
K-7 cracked viewfinder -- help vonBaloney Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 12-12-2011 04:26 PM
cracked sensor? olivemike Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 20 05-11-2011 07:13 PM
Cracked Viewfinder newpentaxuser Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 07-22-2009 04:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top