Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cracked viewfinder - any advice?

So today me and my K-5 took a nasty fall on slippery rocky trail. I am all right, but K-5 viewfinder had a close (and amazingly accurate) encounter with rock and is in a bad,really bad, shape.
Camera focuses and takes in focus shots , so everything else looks fine. No warranty and no trust in local camera repairmen knowledge of Pentax DSLRs.

a) Is there a way to replace glass or viewfinder assembly by myself granted that my hands grow from a bit lower area then usual - but not badly so.
b) If (a) is true ,where i can order the thing - k-5 viewfinder searches on net gave negative results.
Thank you guys in advance.
p.s
I can consider myself lucky. On the other side of the K-5 was unprotected 16-50 but gladly no rock was going after it.

07-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have another camera, will you show how badly it is, by taking picture of the viewfinder.
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Call the Pentax distributor and order it through the parts department. not a simple job on digital though it may be worth paying them to fix it

the thread below should give you an idea of how it's done

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/150858-broken-view...ece-glass.html
07-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

How bad is it?? I had a K-20D that had a cracked viewfinder. Didn't affect focus, and when held to the eye, you didn't even notice it. I never had it repaired.....worked fine for a long time. Never a problem with fogging, moisture etc.

Of course your situation might be different....but then again....

good luck with it...

07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster

This is it
Sorry for all the dirt and mud, i simply do not want to touch it today for fear that i will rush and make it worse. In daylight it will be easier.
07-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Eddie1960:
Thank you for the link. Taking top off and gluing it sounds like wrong kind of fun. Will have to think it over.
forensicscientist :
Yes it focuses ,and yes it is not noticed up close. But weathersealing and getting cracked glass near my own,yet perfect, optical device is worrisome.
07-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Getting the viewfinder on my K-7 repaired from CRIS cost about $100. Others have done it themselves. I wasn't able to get the part, so I sent it in...
07-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In the US you really can't buy parts from Pentax. I understand from various posts that the story is rather different in Canada where you can order lots of things. I've checked and you can also order from Australia fairly easily. The problem is that the distributors will not sell outside their zone, so those of us in the US have to pay to have a part installed (if they have it) where we might have been able to do it ourselves. I don't recall hearing anything about parts availability for the distributor that handles Israel. Good luck.

07-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have bought parts from Pentax parts dept. before. Are you saying that they won't sell parts anymore?
07-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I have bought parts from Pentax parts dept. before. Are you saying that they won't sell parts anymore?
Perhaps I am wrong, but that was my experience. How long ago did you buy parts from Pentax USA?
08-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if that works for the K5.
PENTAX K-X/ IST DL REAR VIEWFINDER LENS NEW GENUINE OEM REPAIR PART | eBay

I assume the viewfinders are the same for all DSLRs, but may be worng.
08-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Not sure if that works for the K5.
PENTAX K-X/ IST DL REAR VIEWFINDER LENS NEW GENUINE OEM REPAIR PART | eBay

I assume the viewfinders are the same for all DSLRs, but may be worng.
even if it's not he lists an 800 number to call him for the part

there is a fair bit of disassembly reassembly involved though, and being a WR camera it will require some care to maintain integrity
08-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #13

My concern with fixing it myself would be effecting the water resistant qualities of the body when reassembling.
08-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
In the US you really can't buy parts from Pentax. I understand from various posts that the story is rather different in Canada where you can order lots of things. I've checked and you can also order from Australia fairly easily. The problem is that the distributors will not sell outside their zone, so those of us in the US have to pay to have a part installed (if they have it) where we might have been able to do it ourselves. I don't recall hearing anything about parts availability for the distributor that handles Israel. Good luck.

If the supplier (of anything) will not sell direct to you just because you are in a different country:
EITHER
1. Find a friend in a place where they can buy, and get them to buy for you.
2. Find one of the businesses who will buy for you, ship to an acceptable address in the country ofthe seller and then onwards ship to you. Technically the buyer in the other country is the new product buyer and you end up getting something which is technically secondhand.

These kinds of business have been so successful in Australia, where even after paying a second lot of shipping the product ends up much cheaper than buying new in Australia that it has severely affected the retail industry. Australians can import up to AUD1000 in the post free of taxes (close to USD1000) so substantial items can be obtained this way.
08-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Perhaps I am wrong, but that was my experience. How long ago did you buy parts from Pentax USA?
I bought a foot for a Pentax flash and a shutter switch for a K200D before Ricoh bought Pentax. I bought from Pentax parts dept., not Pentax service dept. I don't believe Pentax service will sell parts.