Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Affe Quote
Yes, it was 1/1250s.
So, KevinR., if I use AF-C with 11-points as suggested and get a focus point that's beside the bird, won't I get a focus on what's beside/behind then?
This is why I use 5 points instead of 11.

08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Affe Quote
Yes, it was 1/1250s.
So, KevinR., if I use AF-C with 11-points as suggested and get a focus point that's beside the bird, won't I get a focus on what's beside/behind then?
Yes, the "intelligent" multi-point AF could clearly select the wrong area for focus attention, but BIF against a clear sky is generally a very simple and easy target for the AF system to resolve. As @Gebco suggested, could also try the tighter multi-point window.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Spray and pray!
This is also a way to go. Perhaps MF together with short bursts.
08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

When I had my Tammy 70-300 for my K-5, it was bloody hard, had to MF burst like what everyone says.

08-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Not to start a debate either. I have never been able to get great shot with bird-in-flight. I also have a tammy. Not to mention that the severe CA doesnt help either. But that is beside the point.

Now manual focus has been recomended, but I am always scared of shooting in manual focus when it comes to motion. I am always afraid I will miss the moment going back and forth trying to focus.

08-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Not to start a debate either. I have never been able to get great shot with bird-in-flight. I also have a tammy. Not to mention that the severe CA doesnt help either. But that is beside the point.

Now manual focus has been recomended, but I am always scared of shooting in manual focus when it comes to motion. I am always afraid I will miss the moment going back and forth trying to focus.
I use the 55-300 (which is not the fastest at focussing) and the Sigma 50-150 HSM (which focusses faster). I have never used MF. In my learning process I stayed at a fairly wide angle and practiced keeping the bird within the 5 pt AF. As I grow more comfortable with tracking I am zooming in more tightly. This works for me.
08-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Always remember the three P's...

Practice
Practice
Practice
08-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
When I had my Tammy 70-300 for my K-5, it was bloody hard, had to MF burst like what everyone says.

Hidden content may not be quoted
So true. Nikon and Canon are way ahead of Pentax when it comes to focusing on quickly moving subjects. No, this is not a troll. I love my K-5. It's a great generalist's camera. However, if I were mainly interested in bird photography, especially birds in flight, I'd go with one of the big two. I've gotten some decent bird shots, but not the razor sharp kind, and I mean counting the individual parts of the feather kind of sharp, that I've seen from serious birder photographers who shoot CaNikon cameras.
08-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Since my first post excluded how I shot those two birds, I'll now tell you how I did them. Manual focus, spot metering, and panning, following the bird's flight. AF I never use except when I shoot some family photos. Even then I use Manual focus more than AF. I hate how AF hunts for what I'm shooting and never finding the subject. I've been shooting birds in flight for almost 20 years, first with film, now with a K-x.