Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 3
Digital Camera Utility Software 4.0.0

Hi all
I've just bought a 2nd hand k20d - but unfortunately the original CD containing PDCU was not in the box.
Now I've tried to install the upgrade to 4.35 - but that requires the original CD.

Any of you guys know if the full program is available for download somewhere?

and by the way: pentaxforums.com really made my day yesterday when I got a F-- error with the tamron AF lens I bought. After adjusting the aperture ring it's flawless!

08-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,000
Don't think so -- try to find someone locally that has it. It is weird that they don't just give it away since they give it to their users with cameras. Are they afraid that Canon users will use it for free? How would that be bad?
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,178
As I recall the software just looks at the label of the CD in the drive. If you use a disc burner program like ImgBurn you can create a CD or change the label on an image before you burn it. When you run the install program it tells you what the label should be that it's looking for. If you use a virtual CD you don't even have to burn a physical CD. ImgBurn is free as well as many Virtual CD programs.
08-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 3
Original Poster
@vonBaloney: I tried e-mailing the local Pentax office...and they responded they didn't know (yet) and will try to give me a proper answer when some bloak returns from holidays - I hoped pentaxforums would be faster

@NaN : I hope you're right, but I don't have a CD that I can make an image from...that was what I hoped I could get from this site.

08-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,000
QuoteOriginally posted by JungleJim Quote
@vonBaloney: I tried e-mailing the local Pentax office...and they responded they didn't know (yet) and will try to give me a proper answer when some bloak returns from holidays - I hoped pentaxforums would be faster

@NaN : I hope you're right, but I don't have a CD that I can make an image from...that was what I hoped I could get from this site.
He is saying (I think) is to make a CD or a fake CD with the name of the original program -- you don't need the actual program. Then you can install the update. Or something like that. I will give it a try on a machine where I don't have any Pentax software installed and see if I can give you a process to follow...
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,667
QuoteOriginally posted by JungleJim Quote
Hi all
I've just bought a 2nd hand k20d - but unfortunately the original CD containing PDCU was not in the box.
Now I've tried to install the upgrade to 4.35 - but that requires the original CD.

Any of you guys know if the full program is available for download somewhere?
Just an FYI. The K20D did not come with Pentax Digital Camera Utility. It came with Pentax Photo Browser, Pentax Photo Lab and Pentax Remote Assistant.

DCU4 has all the features of PPB and PPL and a lot more. PPB and PPL are not upgradeable to DCU4. Don't waste your time with the two older softwares.
08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,781
Frankly, you are better off with almost any other software :-) I still use PDCU to move files, extract embedded jpgs in a batch on occasion, and create my exif list. It is tedious just to open a file, though, and I had already switched to Elements before trying to converting RAW files in Photo Lab. At the time, the level tool was tedious as well, and there was no spot healing brush.
08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,667
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Frankly, you are better off with almost any other software :-) I still use PDCU to move files, extract embedded jpgs in a batch on occasion, and create my exif list. It is tedious just to open a file, though, and I had already switched to Elements before trying to converting RAW files in Photo Lab. At the time, the level tool was tedious as well, and there was no spot healing brush.
DCU4 is a long way from PPL. I've tried all levels of Adobe programs and I'm not interested. I find the controls non-intuitive and the results less appealing than Pentax/Silkypix. Here's what I saw with CS3 vs Pentax:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/RawConversions?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqHn5yU5o7scw#

YMMV.

08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Photos: Albums
Posts: 570
Here's where you can download the latest version: PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Then check out these instructions: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/36984-how-install-pp...stalled-2.html
08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 3
Original Poster
Thank you....got it to work now.
What a really annoying way to try to protect the software - but you managed to find me a way to get through.
08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,667
QuoteOriginally posted by JungleJim Quote
Thank you....got it to work now.
What a really annoying way to try to protect the software - but you managed to find me a way to get through.
I can't fathom why they don't allow downloading. The software only works with Pentax cameras, and not even with all Pentax cameras. Is it just to mess with people who bought second hand? People who buy a used body are a good market for lenses and a good prospect for the future. If that's the actual reason for being stingy with the software, it's misguided.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-03-2012 at 03:22 PM.
08-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,000
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I can't fathom why they don't allow downloading. The software only works with Pentax cameras, and not even with all Pentax cameras. Is it just to mess with people who bought second hand? People who buy a used body are are good market for lenses and a good prospect for the future. If that's the actual reason for being stingy with the software, it's misguided.
Now that I think about it, it probably has something to do with the license from SilkyPix, which is sold as a separate independent product.
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,667
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Now that I think about it, it probably has something to do with the license from SilkyPix, which is sold as a separate independent product.
Yes, that does sound likely.
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 170
Does anyone know if this will work for the K10D ?
08-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,667
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Does anyone know if this will work for the K10D ?
Yes, DCU4 will work with K10D files. What's even better, if you shoot raw, you can take advantage of features your camera doesn't even have, like new Image Tones, Dodging, Lens Corrections, etc.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera utility software, cd, pentax help
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Digital Camera utility 4 software update bobmaxja Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 12-06-2011 06:53 AM
Help me assess: Pentax Digital Camera Utility vs In Camera JPEG Arrvon Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 19 09-18-2011 10:47 AM
Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software Max-E Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 7 07-13-2011 02:26 PM
The software that came with my k-x :"Digital Camera Utility 4". What is it? Esp1Holm Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 05-07-2010 06:24 AM
how to use Pentax Digital Utility software? Pentaxor Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 23 09-22-2009 09:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top