Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #1

Digital Camera Utility Software 4.0.0

Hi all
I've just bought a 2nd hand k20d - but unfortunately the original CD containing PDCU was not in the box.
Now I've tried to install the upgrade to 4.35 - but that requires the original CD.

Any of you guys know if the full program is available for download somewhere?

and by the way: pentaxforums.com really made my day yesterday when I got a F-- error with the tamron AF lens I bought. After adjusting the aperture ring it's flawless!

08-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't think so -- try to find someone locally that has it. It is weird that they don't just give it away since they give it to their users with cameras. Are they afraid that Canon users will use it for free? How would that be bad?
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

As I recall the software just looks at the label of the CD in the drive. If you use a disc burner program like ImgBurn you can create a CD or change the label on an image before you burn it. When you run the install program it tells you what the label should be that it's looking for. If you use a virtual CD you don't even have to burn a physical CD. ImgBurn is free as well as many Virtual CD programs.
08-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
@vonBaloney: I tried e-mailing the local Pentax office...and they responded they didn't know (yet) and will try to give me a proper answer when some bloak returns from holidays - I hoped pentaxforums would be faster

@NaN : I hope you're right, but I don't have a CD that I can make an image from...that was what I hoped I could get from this site.

08-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JungleJim Quote
@vonBaloney: I tried e-mailing the local Pentax office...and they responded they didn't know (yet) and will try to give me a proper answer when some bloak returns from holidays - I hoped pentaxforums would be faster

@NaN : I hope you're right, but I don't have a CD that I can make an image from...that was what I hoped I could get from this site.
He is saying (I think) is to make a CD or a fake CD with the name of the original program -- you don't need the actual program. Then you can install the update. Or something like that. I will give it a try on a machine where I don't have any Pentax software installed and see if I can give you a process to follow...
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi all
I've just bought a 2nd hand k20d - but unfortunately the original CD containing PDCU was not in the box.
Now I've tried to install the upgrade to 4.35 - but that requires the original CD.

Any of you guys know if the full program is available for download somewhere?
Just an FYI. The K20D did not come with Pentax Digital Camera Utility. It came with Pentax Photo Browser, Pentax Photo Lab and Pentax Remote Assistant.

DCU4 has all the features of PPB and PPL and a lot more. PPB and PPL are not upgradeable to DCU4. Don't waste your time with the two older softwares.
08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Frankly, you are better off with almost any other software :-) I still use PDCU to move files, extract embedded jpgs in a batch on occasion, and create my exif list. It is tedious just to open a file, though, and I had already switched to Elements before trying to converting RAW files in Photo Lab. At the time, the level tool was tedious as well, and there was no spot healing brush.

08-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Frankly, you are better off with almost any other software :-) I still use PDCU to move files, extract embedded jpgs in a batch on occasion, and create my exif list. It is tedious just to open a file, though, and I had already switched to Elements before trying to converting RAW files in Photo Lab. At the time, the level tool was tedious as well, and there was no spot healing brush.
DCU4 is a long way from PPL. I've tried all levels of Adobe programs and I'm not interested. I find the controls non-intuitive and the results less appealing than Pentax/Silkypix. Here's what I saw with CS3 vs Pentax:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/RawConversions?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqHn5yU5o7scw#

YMMV.
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's where you can download the latest version: PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Then check out these instructions: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/36984-how-install-pp...stalled-2.html
08-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you....got it to work now.
What a really annoying way to try to protect the software - but you managed to find me a way to get through.
08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you....got it to work now.
What a really annoying way to try to protect the software - but you managed to find me a way to get through.
I can't fathom why they don't allow downloading. The software only works with Pentax cameras, and not even with all Pentax cameras. Is it just to mess with people who bought second hand? People who buy a used body are a good market for lenses and a good prospect for the future. If that's the actual reason for being stingy with the software, it's misguided.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-03-2012 at 03:22 PM.
08-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I can't fathom why they don't allow downloading. The software only works with Pentax cameras, and not even with all Pentax cameras. Is it just to mess with people who bought second hand? People who buy a used body are are good market for lenses and a good prospect for the future. If that's the actual reason for being stingy with the software, it's misguided.
Now that I think about it, it probably has something to do with the license from SilkyPix, which is sold as a separate independent product.
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Now that I think about it, it probably has something to do with the license from SilkyPix, which is sold as a separate independent product.
Yes, that does sound likely.
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #14

Does anyone know if this will work for the K10D ?
08-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
Does anyone know if this will work for the K10D ?
Yes, DCU4 will work with K10D files. What's even better, if you shoot raw, you can take advantage of features your camera doesn't even have, like new Image Tones, Dodging, Lens Corrections, etc.