Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 03:43 AM   #1

Stuck pixel in movie mode

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to Pentax in general. I've been a happy owner of a K-5 for 2 days and it's awesome for the price it retails. Unfortunately, I noticed that in movie mode a red stuck pixel appears. It's visible on the screen and the recorded movie as well. It's clearly visible and is near the center so it kinda ruins the movie.

I tried mapping it out several times, upgrading the software, mapping it out once again. Nothing helped. The pixel is not visible in any other mode, no matter how high the ISO and how long the exposure is. It never appears in LV also.

I accidentally learned how to get rid of this notorious red dot. Before switching to movie mode i need to switch to live view and then to movie mode and the red dot is gone until I turn the camera off or switch to another mode. As if there was a fault in the software that makes the camera "forget" to apply pixel mapping in movie mode and this procedure bypassed that fault. I'm not exactly happy about the solution, because i need to do it every time I want to make a movie and if I forget the movie will be ruined.

Did anyone encounter a similar problem? Can I do something to increase pixel mapping efficiency and perhaps get rid of the red dot forever?

08-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is very interesting, as before I had thought that pixel mapping was simply always disabled in movie mode. This sounds like something Pentax might address in a future firmware path, but until then, it's good to know that there's a workaround! I will give it a shot.
08-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #3

sounds like the two day old K-5 needs to go back to the store or directly to Pentax CRIS for repair.
08-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, the problem is I'm from Poland where Pentax is a forgotten brand. For that reason there is no authorized Pentax service here (although there is an authorized dealer). They send cameras to France for repair as I heard. I'm not quite sure if I want to have it sent that far away to fix just a minor inconvenience. I'm not a movie maker anyway I hope they'll fix it with future firmware upgrades.

I think I'll notify Pentax about the issue.

08-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
A moment ago I googled out the solution I come up with above, so I'm not the first one to discover it. Interesting why the problem wasn't fixed by Pentax despite several firmware upgrades.

Sorry for double posting, I couldn't edit my previous post for some unclear security reasons
08-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
sounds like the two day old K-5 needs to go back to the store or directly to Pentax CRIS for repair.
For one hot pixel? You've gotta be joking. I'd be shocked if Pentax would do a warranty repair for that. It's pretty normal, and expected, albeit unfortunate when it's right in the center.
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
For one hot pixel? You've gotta be joking. I'd be shocked if Pentax would do a warranty repair for that. It's pretty normal, and expected, albeit unfortunate when it's right in the center.
Let me guess, you don't mind buying brand new cars with say one tiny bulb burnt out either, say left head light, just one tiny bulb? It's pretty normal to have dead pixels on a brand new camera? The gray market must be doing well where you are at. To each his own. SMH
08-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Let me guess, you don't mind buying brand new cars with say one tiny bulb burnt out either, say left head light, just one tiny bulb? It's pretty normal to have dead pixels on a brand new camera? The gray market must be doing well where you are at. To each his own. SMH
There is a tolerance they build sensors to, which is not zero hot pixels. I vaguely remember it mentioned in an old thread, and I think it was somewhere in the 7-15 range before they would consider it a warranty issue.

This is not a new thing, and it isn't just the sensors Pentax uses, hell, it isn't even limited to sensors. New computer monitors rarely have zero hot pixels. Again, there is a tolerance before the manufacturer considers it a defect, and it's not just one or two of them, either.

Everyone wants their copy of a camera or other device to be perfect, and some of us luck out and actually get one that is as close as possible to being perfect, but it is not the norm, and a bit silly to expect with mass produced consumer electronics.

08-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #9

I just bought a 5DII in October 2011 and just noticed that there are often hot pixels when I take a still while shooting video. I was shooting 1080p video of my son and hit the shutter button to get the still capture and that several hot pixels that were blown, both in the in-camera review and on my mac. But when I open photoshop or lightroom, the pixels are corrected in the conversion.

Anyone know why the still capture doing video recording would produce hot pixels?
08-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pari93 Quote
Anyone know why the still capture doing video recording would produce hot pixels?
I don't know too much about Canon, but with Pentax, the pixel mapping feature that masks hot pixels is only active when shooting stills. If your Canon is the same way, then capturing stills from the video output wouldn't use pixel mapping either, so they would show up.