Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 How to Reset File Numbering?

I swapped cards when out shooting yesterday, and it threw my file numbering off. The camera had just rolled over its first 10,000 pics, and was on to number 0350 or so. The second card had some old pics on it in the 9200 range, so that when I started shooting again the next shot was number 9250 instead of 0351. I've swapped cards before with old files and never had this problem crop up. Thinking it probably has something to do with being into the second 10,000s so that the camera defaults to the higher number (9251), and now I can't get it back to where it should be. I already tried to rename the files and put them on a blank card to fool the camera into resetting the numbering but that didn't work ... new shots are still showing up numbered IMGP9252, 9253, 9254 etc, sted IMGP0350, 351, 352 etc as they should be.

Anyone know if there is any other way to reset the numbering to a specific file number?

08-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It should be an easy fix, luckily! See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/185807-need-reset-image-number...ter-count.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks ... I knew it was there somewhere. In case anyone else finds this thread, on the K7, Memory is on p.4 of the Custom menu (link is for fixing the issue with the K5).

From the linky (edited for k7): Go to Custom menu p.4, then memory, then page 2. Uncheck file number. Format the card. Take a picture. That'll be name0001. Put the card in your computer, rename that picture you just took (the only one in the camera) to name####, wherever you need the numbers to start. Go back into the option menu and turn on remember file numbers. Stick the memory card back in and take a picture - it should be incremented 1 up from whatever you renamed it to.
08-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
Thanks ... I knew it was there somewhere. In case anyone else finds this thread, on the K7, Memory is on p.4 of the Custom menu (link is for fixing the issue with the K5).

From the linky (edited for k7): Go to Custom menu p.4, then memory, then page 2. Uncheck file number. Format the card. Take a picture. That'll be name0001. Put the card in your computer, rename that picture you just took (the only one in the camera) to name####, wherever you need the numbers to start. Go back into the option menu and turn on remember file numbers. Stick the memory card back in and take a picture - it should be incremented 1 up from whatever you renamed it to.
Don't need to do all that... just make sure the SD card already have the folder corresponding to the current date, change the last image file to the number you want, say 0100, then the next image file number will be 0101 when you trip the shutter.