Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Extension tubes

Hi, I just got a set of inexpensive extension tubes as a gift.
They are a basic 3 rings set with no electronic connections.
So naturally, I put them on my K200D and tried both lenses.
Sigma DC 50-200mm 1:4-5.6 and
Sigma DC 18-50mm 1:3.5-5.6

Unless I look directly into a light bulb or a very bright subject, I get mostly black.

I assume this is because the lens aperture is usually controlled by the camera.
I have searched the net and this forum but only find reference to extension tubes with electronic connectors.

Any thoughts/hints/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

08-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not familiar with those lenses but I assume they have no aperture ring and thus the aperture is controlled only by the camera? If so, you cannot use those lenses with those tubes. What you need is a simple manual lens such as a Pentax M 50mm with the aperture ring. The aperture is set on the lens and you use the green button and stop down metering to set the exposure.

Most tubes you find will not have contacts, I believe there were some made with the contacts but they have been out of production for a long time. Some folks have resorted to buying 2x teleconverters with contacts and removing the glass to make a set of rings with contacts. If you do a search of the forums you will find several threads talking about tubes with contacts. Here is one thread with some useful information https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/190307-vi...-tube-set.html
08-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

When shooting with tubes it may be better to use manual settings.You might want to get a prime lens 50mm to 135mm that has an aperture ring if you plan to use the tubes.M type lens are pretty cheat and easy to come by.These lens can come in handy for other applications as in low light as they will be a little faster than the lens you are using now.