Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Airplanes

So im flying to hawaii in november, and i just got a really nice lens, and im rocking a k7 with grip, and all that fun stuff, my only worry is if i take it on as a carry on will it go through the xray fine? and will/should i expect any pat downs or frisking?

08-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Forum Member

My gear has been through hundreds of x-rays without problems, IMHO its the only way to take it.

GT
08-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your camera will be fine. Can't guarantee your junk.
08-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't even think about putting it in checked luggage. Always as a carry-on and never out of your sight. X-ray is no problem at all. Baggage handlers, different story.

08-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just don't turn your back on the ocean. November can be tricky.
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
allright!!!! thanks everyone, after putting all my money into this gear i would just die if something happened to it, and ya it will be as my carry on for sure
08-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The only item of equipment that I have had trigger a secondary in several hundred thousand miles of air travel is my travel tripod inside the carry-on bag. They invariably want to see what it is. The cameras and lenses, never. As for potential x-ray damage, that may have been a potential problem in the film days and we all had lead foil bags for the film but with digital, no sweat. Have a great time in Hawaii.

08-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're concerned, check with your insurance agent. For a small premium, you may be able to add it to your homeowner's policy. You can certainly get a personal property policy. For less than $100 per year, you can probably cover $3000-4000 worth of property, including cameras, computers, musical instruments.
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

So, I'm traveling internationally right now, and decided to invest in a higher end HPRC Hard case (spent around 180 bucks). It was the best decision I have made. If it is a very short trip then taking your camera in a nice camerabag as a carry on works fine, but, in my opinion, anything more than a few weeks, I would prefer an actual carry-on. Lord knows I dont want my expencive gear banging around in a soft camera bag in an overhead compartment......but hey, Im probably crazy, but at least I feel it is safe.
08-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am a fanatic for traveling light so even on an international trip of a few weeks, I never check luggage. My 20" roll-aboard goes in the overhead bin and my camera/laptop backpack fits under the seat in front of me. It has enough extra space for a little bag of in-flight essentials, so I am good. The baggage apes never see any of my stuff and my camera gear is always with me.
08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You can't count on being able to carry on all your equipment, particularly if you have several lenses, bodies, flash, etc. Sometimes you find out at the last minute (like when you're about to step onto the aircraft) that you'll have to scramble and pack equipment quickly, hopefully well enough to avoid baggage handling damage.

One very small bag/backpack may be all you'll be able to carry with you. Anything as large as a rollaboard may need to be checked, and be subjected to baggage handling. You usually have to reserve some room in your backpack for other essentials (drugs, etc.) On my last trip, I was able to carry on my K200, 16-45, 50-200, and 10-20mm, but the laptop, K100, 18-55, and 100-300 were relegated to the checked rollaboard.

Paul

Last edited by tibbitts; 08-12-2012 at 08:09 PM.
08-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would carry on everything that is essential. Things like tripods and flash units I would have that in checked baggage. However all lenses and bodies stay with me. I won't have it any other way. I'm not a professional so I usually only need specific lenses and I won't carry my entire collection of lenses. However the ones I do bring must stay with me. I'm sure professionals have an extra insurance on their equipment as it is their livelyhood.
08-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The reason I carry essentially everything I have on a significant (by my standards, anyway) trip is for redundancy. I'm sure everyone has had something go wrong during a trip - lost a piece of equipment, dropped/broken something, etc. Particularly with Pentax, and perhaps to a lesser extent with Nikon/Canon (particularly pros with access to Canon/Nikon professional services have an advantage there), there is no practical and cost effective way to replace something while on a trip. You will, for example, often be limited by store shipping restrictions (definitely with B&H) even if willing to pay additional amounts for rush replacement service. So, for example, if something happens to the 16-45, it's reassuring to have the 18-55 (even my old, unimproved model) as a substitute.

Paul
08-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Road-warrior (well, air-warrior) here.

Never ever check in camera equipment. A tripod, perhaps, but no camera bodies or lenses or flashes or anything of the sort. If it ain't getting banged up by the luggage sorting system, or getting misdelivered/misrouted, then it'll get pilfered by the thugs handling checked baggage -- be that those supposed to check the baggage for explosives, be that customs or be that simply baggage handlers.

Yes, theft happens by all 3 categories of people accessing checked-in luggage -- the French press is lately a-plenty with reports of such going on at Charles de Gaulle airport near Paris, for example, but I've seen the same happen in other parts of the world - and prominently so in north america....

There's a reason why travel insurance will not cover checked in valuables, y'know.

Don't check anything in that you can't be without. Don't check anything in that might look "interesting" on a baggage X-ray. Don't check anything in that won't be covered by your travel insurance.

Get yourself an IATA-sized carry-on (I use a Rimowa pilot case), and only fly airlines that respect IATA recommendations for carry-on. Also, avoid regional jets and turboprops, if at all possible (BAe's are particularly bad in terms of carry-on space). If you need more gear than what can be in a carry-on, then you need to contact FedEx My Rimowa easily fits a full sized DSLR and 3-5 lenses, with plenty of room to spare.

In 15+ years of flying >150K BIS-miles/year, I've never had to gate-check a bag (and I'd refuse to do so if it contained valuables / a camera). On the other hand, I also carry a "reasonable carry on" with just valuables/necessities, as opposed to the "kitchen sink moving truck" that I see others lug along on most US domestic flights.
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Plus 1 to the above. 500,000 flight miles to/from a dozen countries and never had to check anything valuable. Never, ever, ever put laptops, cameras or other valuables in a checked bag. There is a reason the airlines refuse any responsibility for such items in checked luggage. Such stuff goes missing all the time.