Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #1

Using a lens without aperture with with basic extension tube

Hi all,
I recently got a completely basic extension tube: the kind with no pass through of electronics.

I'm using it with my k-x and the Pentax DA 16-45mm lens - so far, I've set the "Using aperture ring allowed" setting to yes, and have just been trying to use the camera in M mode.

As the lens doesn't have a manual aperture ring, however, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to control that factor?

All the advice I've seen so far has been to manually stop down the lens, then use the green button to make a meter reading, but without being able to do that first piece, I'm not sure how to proceed...

Will I be able to use the extension tube at all with this set up, or do I need to spring for a more advanced tube / a lens with an aperture ring?

Thanks!

08-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gangleflops Quote
do I need to spring for a more advanced tube / a lens with an aperture ring?
you do.

If you have basic extension tube, without any kind of lever in it, then, there is nothing that allow the lens to have any kind of reaction to whatever you do on the body (like hitting the green button).

Moreover, even if you extension tube had a lever, your lens will always be close at it min aperture (f22 i guess).

So, either you find extension tube with "A" contact (but it's expensive) or you find a cheap 50mm (like K/M 50/1.7 or 50/2 or 55/1.8 or 55/2).

The second option is the best when it comes to money.

Wait for some other response, because i'm sure some crazy macro member will show up
08-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hi, if you have tubes without paw for aperature, than you use it only maximaly stopped down... or, if you have space between lenx & tube, you can make lens wide open by paper clip. (i used it for reversed da18-55)...

i dont know how is it on K-x (i have K-r), but if it is similar, that aperature control paw on tubes shows you wide open and where you are explosuring, than full stopped down (on M and Av)... it is crazy, becausei will use M lens on Av, that is wide open, i think (is possible i am writing crap.. i havent any M lens anymore)

result:
get any lens with aperature ring.... (DA sucks :P - they are unusable shits for it )
if you gonna use it only for tubes, you can buy any M 50mm lens... (cheapest)
but don't buy 50/2! it is very unsharp wide open... 1,7 , 1,4 or 2,6 macro or 4 macro will be great choice

i hope, i helped you
08-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
Moo

You could tape the aperture lever in a more useful middle-position... It'll be harder to see through the viewfinder, but better for depth of field than wide open. Also I think the metering would be accurate as there would be no stopping down between metering and shooting.

08-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
You could tape the aperture lever in a more useful middle-position... It'll be harder to see through the viewfinder, but better for depth of field than wide open. Also I think the metering would be accurate as there would be no stopping down between metering and shooting.
ya... you are true! and imho is better take photos from tripod and Live view... explosure will be metered better... -because k-r (usually k-x too) dont meter acurate when you use wievfinder... if i shoot wide open... i must overexplosure by 2-2,5EV, then is explosure realy correct.... with LV is problem gone
08-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Great, thanks for the advice! I'll look into those lenses you recommend for getting manual aperture control.