Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Pentax k-r, assembly problem.....

Hello everyone,
I have a problem with my kr, after a fall the camera locked with mirror up..... and after dissasembling it, I found the problem in the mirror mechanism, the load spring lever for the diaphragms was offsite, I lined all up and everything is in order.

http://i.imgur.com/b0zZi.jpg

Now I have another problem, during disassembly I unsoldered many cables, writing on paper the order of the colors, but I forgot 4 cable.... I will not risk to solder them guessing with the lenght etc... I prefer to ask for help here.

If someone has the repair manual will solve directly my mistake, or I'll ve to ask you this favor, which is very easy, need to remove the bottom of the k-r, ie unscrew the 10 screws (8 plus 2 on the edge inside of the battery door) and just look at the color order of the 4 wires that are soldered and somewhat hidden behind the display/LCD (using a tourch/light and a bit of an eye you should see well).

From my pictures, should be (gray-red-white-brown) as they were attacked in order on the tape, but I can't risk.
If you can take a picture, will be the best

http://i.imgur.com/1uOQS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/38qcN.jpg

I don't know what favor I could give in return, but if you need any help with the disassembly and repair I have photos and drawings of the k-r....

08-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
judging by the lenght of the wires, I'm 80% sure I can solder in the same order.... hope somebody can help or have suggestion about technicians to ask about.
08-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
Seeing how many have read my thread, hope somebody have a k-r,
I need to repeat that this operation it's incredibly easy, need a screwdriver and 1 minute ....watch inside, and close back.
08-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
screwdriver222's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Plymouth
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 131
Hi mate

I think you have done a fantastic job so far. What may be putting some people off is the prospect of invalidating their warranty.

I hope hope some comes up with the info for you. It would be a shame to screw it up having got so far.

Best of luck

Jeff

08-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
Hi Jeff,
True I forgot, the warranty make people think about,
better to do this on a camera without warranty, but anyway I can say it's so simple that Pentax can't really know if you have open or not the camera.... from my passed experience in repairing, I tell you this camera has not glue on the screws, no tapes/silicons inside, the bottom plate it's clean and come off easy, the only way that can make something visible it's by stripping a screw, and it's very difficult that happens (better use a philips 0 or 00 screwdriver will be fine).

08-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
Good Golly - You could be a camera repair tech. Great job with the spring, NOT easy! A repair tech at CHRIS would have manuals available. I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to tear down my K-R (that works very well) to that level and possibly void the warranty. I bought the extended warranty from Pentax, So I'm still good for a while.
The only thing I can think of would be to get out your digital multi-meter and see If you can make some sense of the circuit. My GUESS is that these are power wires. Probably VCC and ground and + and - some regulated voltage like 5V maybe. Are you willing to install the battery and see what voltage appears on those wires? You would then need to figure out what part of the circuit wants what voltage, sounds difficult without a schematic.
Another option would be to find a broken K-R on ebay.
Wishing you all the best with this.
08-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Good Golly - You could be a camera repair tech. Great job with the spring, NOT easy! A repair tech at CHRIS would have manuals available. I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to tear down my K-R (that works very well) to that level and possibly void the warranty. I bought the extended warranty from Pentax, So I'm still good for a while.
The only thing I can think of would be to get out your digital multi-meter and see If you can make some sense of the circuit. My GUESS is that these are power wires. Probably VCC and ground and + and - some regulated voltage like 5V maybe. Are you willing to install the battery and see what voltage appears on those wires? You would then need to figure out what part of the circuit wants what voltage, sounds difficult without a schematic.
Another option would be to find a broken K-R on ebay.
Wishing you all the best with this.
Gp,
thanks, I think I will check this if nobody will help in a few days,
I know that 2 wires (Gray-Red) goes on the left Flash-board, the other 2 wires (White-Brown) goes to the 2 lens contact pins near the mirror.
08-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
QuoteOriginally posted by bobhoskin Quote
Hi Jeff,
True I forgot, the warranty make people think about,
better to do this on a camera without warranty, but anyway I can say it's so simple that Pentax can't really know if you have open or not the camera.... from my passed experience in repairing, I tell you this camera has not glue on the screws, no tapes/silicons inside, the bottom plate it's clean and come off easy, the only way that can make something visible it's by stripping a screw, and it's very difficult that happens (better use a philips 0 or 00 screwdriver will be fine).

Are saying that you could see the wires that you need to see by removing JUST the bottom plate?

08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Are saying that you could see the wires that you need to see by removing JUST the bottom plate?
Yes, just the bottom plate,
and just look the wires that goes on the left bottom angle under the display LCD, maybe it's not so easy to see for just 3mm of space, and with some light you can figure it out.
From the first photos of the mainboard I attach, you know where to check:
http://i.imgur.com/1uOQS.jpg

Here are hide by the back display, the 4 solder points:
08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
OK - I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work. I'll try to take a pic. If not possible, I'll describe what I see. Just the bottom plate! Nothing more.
08-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
Ohh thank you very very much GP!
08-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
GP, don't open your camera!!!
I finally found the image I was need, from Ricehigh blog that helped me, I think he reads japan langauage



Finally,
GRAY - RED - WHITE - BROWN

Was right like the lenght of the cable.
Thank you all for your advice.

I'll update if the camera it's working properly and post some photos of the operation.


Last edited by bobhoskin; 08-13-2012 at 03:36 AM.
08-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Paleo Pete's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,877
For future reference...

I have a point and shoot camera I use when I work on guitars and tube amps. Any time I have to fiddle with pickup wiring, effects pedals, internal computer wiring, anything like that, I take pictures before I disconnect anything. Check the pictures to be sure I got good focus and I have a perfect record of exactly where everything goes.
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
New Member
bobhoskin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Original Poster
Hi Pete,
I always doing like you,
but that night I was making the work and I forgot the camera in my car, was tired to go pick it up
Sure I was tired, because I forgot to write down the 4 wires,
never do work in tired conditions
08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
Glad to see that you found the information that you needed. Let us know how it all turns out.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
favor, help, k-r, mirror, pentax help, repair, risk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax M 50mm f1.7 Disassembly - Assembly jaitas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 08-22-2014 09:16 PM
K-7 SR assembly rattle joakimfors Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 01-19-2011 04:15 PM
Lens assembly ohce Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 09-22-2008 11:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top