Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
istDL... MAJOR PROBLEM... Please Help!!!!

Hi Everyone
OK My Problem is ..... Yesterday I was Using My istDL and it worked perfectly fine just as it has ever since I first Brought it (almost 7 Years ago.... Why buy new when it still works well EH!) But to day I go to use it and The start up is sluggish (Top LCD with the battery power indicator and Focus info) I cannot get the menu or view images to work or any of the buttons on the back to operate (function ,menu,delete etc) I tried to connect to my PC via USB ...NO LUCK.. I have checked the batteries All 6 sets and they are ok. I have checked the Memory Card and that is ok....I took it out to day and thought everything was fine... so there I was snapping away and I went to view my photos on the preview .....No Preview I just thought it was a glitch... I got home Slipped the Memory Card into the PC and to my surprise NO IMAGES... Damn... I had Taken at least 200 shots today. Unfortunately I Have no other Camera and I'm currently stuck without any means of taking pictures... I'm hoping someone on here may have a solution to this problem and with any luck this will not cost me much or nothing to fix...
Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Ian

08-12-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never had this problem with my DL. Sounds like you need to get to the operating system and force a reset. I don't know how to do this when the menus don't work.
Something to try. Remove the batteries and let the camera sit. It may need to sit a LONG time, because you need to let the battery that keeps the clock (and other stuff) running go completely flat. After that battery goes dead, the main board will reset on power up. If that does not work, you may have a mainboard problem. Cheaper to replace the camera than have it repaired.
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I never had this problem with my DL. Sounds like you need to get to the operating system and force a reset. I don't know how to do this when the menus don't work. Something to try. Remove the batteries and let the camera sit. It may need to sit a LONG time,
Over night should be long enough to drain the clock/memory battery. Mine looses it's memory in that amount of time. I have never had this problem either ,but that is what I would try first,If mine did. If that didn't do it K-30 here I come. I can't justify a new camera when this one keeps producing.
08-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Guys.... I'll Try that... I love the DL...I have taken some great shots with it... I haven't had any problems with it before....and after 7 yrs of usage it would be like losing a limb.... I'm just hoping this will sort it out.. Like GP said if it is the mother board I may have to save my pennies harder to invest in a newer model.... Thanks again I'll post again with the out come...

08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm back..... After 2-3 days of draining the battery.... I have the same problem..... Any other ideas ??????????
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
just been intouch with pentax support... and they were helpful...NOT!

"Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Monique F.
Monique F: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
Ian Bineham: OK My Problem is ..... Yesterday I was Using My istDL and it worked perfectly fine just as it has ever since I first Brought it (almost 7 Years ago.... Why buy new when it still works well EH!) But to day I go to use it and The start up is sluggish (Top LCD with the battery power indicator and Focus info) I cannot get the menu or view images to work or any of the buttons on the back to operate (function ,menu,delete etc) I tried to connect to my
Ian Bineham: to my pc and there is no connection
Ian Bineham: I have Let the internal batery run down for 3 days and I still have the same problem...
Monique F: What type batteries are u using in your camera?
Ian Bineham: rechargeables.NIMH
Ian Bineham: Same type I always use
Ian Bineham: AA Rechargables ..
Monique F: Ok, thank you. First I'd like to reccommend a set of Lithium batteries in the camera, if that doesn't resolve the issue, then I would have to recommend u send your camera in for repair.
Monique F: I recommend (for US residents only) you return your camera directly to PENTAX Imaging Company at the address listed below for examination.

PENTAX Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

Be sure to use adequate packing material to prevent damage during shipping, and have the parcel insured. Please include a note describing the problem and give your name, return shipping address, and telephone number. For initial tracking purposes, please note the serial number of your equipment for your own records.

If your camera is within the warranty period, (one year from the original date of purchase), please supply us with a dated proof of purchase, and a request for warranty service. If your camera is covered by the PENTAX Extended Warranty, please supply us with a copy of your Extended Warranty Card. Providing your camera has not been misused or abused and the problem is due to a manufacturer's defect, your camera will be repaired and returned to you without charge.

If your warranty period has expired, or if the repair is not covered under the terms of this warranty, we will examine your camera and supply you with a written estimate (this estimate is provided at no charge). Upon approval (and payment in full) of the estimate, we will proceed with the repair. Approvals may be given by phone with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. If you decide against the repair estimate, your camera will be returned to you for a $12 shipping and handling charge.

Repair times will vary depending on the time of year.
Ian Bineham: Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
Monique F: No, I'm sorry.
Monique F: It sounds like it could b a battery issue.
Monique F: But I am not a repir tech.
Ian Bineham: ok I have those details I'll have to send it off for repair.... Thank you for your help....
Monique F: Sure.
Monique F: Thank you for dropping by, Ian, and have a great day!
Ian Bineham: Thank you again... "
08-17-2012, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It may well be that your main board is going. My ist DL started doing all sorts of goofy things before it just died on me one day. 7 years is a pretty long time. You may have just reached the end of it's life cycle.

08-17-2012, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
7 years is a pretty long time. You may have just reached the end of it's life cycle.
Now I am worried I have had mine for over 6 years. It is almost like part of the family. Maybe I need to start saving more for my next body.
Sounds like Monique was reading a script
08-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.... @ Magkelly... Yep it certainly seems terminal... I don't think it is worth the postage BOTH ways to be told that I'm gonna need $200 worth of repairs.. I think I may need to raid my daughters Piggy Bank for a new model or something different LOL... @Patrick.... Yeah I feel the Same way... My DL is like a Family Member ( My Wife Brought it for me when we were dating) Lots of Memories and Great Shots taken with it... And YES I agree Monique did seem a bit on the scripted side... I feel unless you have a Brand new Model Pentax that their Tech Support really don't have the time or just don't care about the later models.... Shame on them!
P.S. I Tried Brand new (Brought today) Lithium Batteries earlier ..... they registered as spent batteries on the LCD display and NO Power at all ...... My Rechargeables register as good batteries but the camera still has the original problem..... Very Strange!!!!!

Last edited by Bedlam; 08-17-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Adding missed text
08-18-2012, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #10

Just a thought. Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts in the camera.
08-18-2012, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

This thread has much to say about the DL and battery problems. Worth a read, IMHO. What type of battery do you use? Have you tried Eneloops?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13335-ist-dl-batteries.html
08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #12

Original Poster
Yep Contacts are clean... I usually use Rechargeables 2500 or 2300 NIMH.(Fully charged).. Never had a problem before..Batteries register as Full but LCD Took at least 10 seconds to power up and I have NO Functions or menu or Preview.... once it does power up Auto focus and shutter button works and it will act as thought the camera is taking a picture but it doesn't write to the Memory card (card is fine and works on any other device) also If to attach USB to Computer The Camera Does not register on the computer either . and as I said earlier I tried BRAND NEW Lithium Duracell's yesterday and they didn't even register (Came up as Spent Batteries on the LCD)
08-18-2012, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #13

Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to a K30 or the now cheap K5. Why stress over such an old body? All electronic devices die. Seven years is a good life. The learning curve to a new body isn't big, since the menu systems and button placements are largely the same. You know how to use your old camera, so a new one won't be a big deal to get to grips with, yet offer better... everything.

Not trying to be unhelpful, it just strikes me as odd to go through much effort to get an old device working again. This is the consumer age, most electronics are designed to die after a few years so you get a new model. Seven years is an exceptionally long lifespan by any modern standards. As unfortunate as it is, it's just how things are.
08-18-2012, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leaving the battery out for a while has solved all the problems with my *ist DS (shutter count about 15K). Don't know how many times I've sworn that I did the DS in, but it has resurrected each time.

Leave the batteries out for a day or 2 if nothing happens. Use a new set of alkalines to test it. Almost all the problems are power related on these.

There is something about the *ist line which is very appealing despite these problems. Maybe it is the colors that the (Kodak?) CCD captures and renders. Maybe it is the sharp AFing. I've tried to get myself to replace it with a m4/3 with twice the pixels, much better high ISO capabilities and HD video. Nope, just can't do it.
08-18-2012, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Of course the Ist D# are no match for a K5, and no good above iso 800.
But in my opinion they are better than a late model M4/3
Ist-d# problems I had were intermittent contact resistance problems on various buttons and switches.
It is possible that Bedlam's problem is the main power Off/On switch wiping contact which (in my opinion) was an iffy design along with the wheel switch in the ist-d# models.

I have been using 2 ist ds with a 3rd as a parts donor for the last few years. Opening the bodies/ servicing/ is difficult.
But if they both failed I would probably spend a couple $ hundred for repair if possible or look for another istds.
The M4/3 12 MB i have is fun and can do pleasing happy snappy shots and the auto exposure is better, but for me, no match for the Pentax in sharp focus, color accuracy, realistic DOF, and etc, for realistic camera jpgs.

I aim for the 2~3 MB camera jpgs that look the most natural as i saw the image, and I do no pp on the keepers.
It was a big day in Flint Michigan today and I took a lot of shots with ist ds - with the original old 18~55 kit lens in M mode, a lot of the shots were with the 3 shot exposure bracketing in M mode.
I don't put up family shots , here are a couple from Ist ds:

The (2) professional photogs at the Crim Kids race each had EOS-1 bodies ( $5 grand each ??) one with a long lens and one with a wide and a big flash for close in under the trees.
https://www.box.com/s/4f0aa4548e5419950a5b

This one in Flint U of M pavilion , looking out to the old cars at the "Back to Bricks" in Buick city
https://www.box.com/s/4085b64e1dc302e658d5

Here is a shot from the M4/3 with 18mm ( posted before) looks OK but to me the 18 mm is a problem also the camera jpg looks slightly "processed" ??
https://www.box.com/s/f7b4205014069b6b453a

I will put some more of old ist ds today's "Back to Bricks" shots in the kit lens club.