Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Trouble with Optio W90 Waterproof Camera

I am having problems with my W90 camera. It gave a bad card or card not formatted message. I tried 3 different cards including the one I took over 1000 pictures on. I tried to format cards but than it
gave a bad card message. I found it would still take pictures as long as I did not have a card in the camera, it would still save to the internal memory.

I called the Pentax service center they told me to try a Sandisk card. I don't know why a the brand should make any difference. I bought a Sandisk card and gave it a try. I put it in but forgot to format it,
The camera formatted the card by it self and saved pictures, one of the other cards I was trying before I was able to get formatted. The problem however is that the pictures are only 3 megapixels. I am
not able to set the resolution any higher regardless of ISO setting or any thing else I am able to find in the menus. I will call the service center again but does any have an idea of what I can do now.

Dean Sturgis

08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using digital zoom by any chance? That reduces the effective resolution, I believe.
08-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe it does, at least you cann't take 12 Mp pictures.
I just tried 3 Mp at 5 to 25mm actual as well as when using the digital zoom.

Dean Sturgis
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I called the Pentax service center, went thru the problems with this camera. He led me thru ther menu to find the reset button.
I reset the camera, I now have 12 Mp. I had to changes a few other presets- i.e. go back to high quality (3star) jpeg compression
and reset the time. I now takes 12Mp pictures even at very low quality max digital zoom pictures.

Dean Sturgis