Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Green mode

Hello Folks,

With my new Pentax K-5 I’m taking lots of great photos in “greenmode.” Although I’ve tried other modes,particularly AV, I’m not able to get photos that are as pleasing to the eye asI can with the automatic setting. I knowit’s primarily a matter of experience, so I’ll keep experimenting. Is there an online source of information thatmay be helpful to me?

Thanks, Tom

08-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First there is nothing wrong with the Green mode. You are not alone to use the Green mode.

Second you could consider to use the hyper-mode P. The P mode works like the Green mode, until you use the front or rear wheel to set manually the shutter speed or aperture. I often set manually the shutter speed when I shoot some sports, You can always go back to the "green" mode by pressing the Green button.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 08-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.
08-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You need to learn the exposure triangle - ie, the relationship among aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Also, learn about the different metering methods - matrix, center-weighted and spot.

Here are some good links:

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are 2 things that helped me get out of the green mode:

1. Reading this book: I rented it from the library but liked it so much that I bought it soon after-
Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

2. Taking a beginners dslr photo class.

Best of luck.

08-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riveredger Quote
You need to learn the exposure triangle - ie, the relationship among aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Also, learn about the different metering methods - matrix, center-weighted and spot.

Here are some good links:

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure
I'm quoting this because I think it might not be clear why learning the exposure triangle is useful. There is no magic behind the settings chosen by green mode. You could have chosen the same exposure settings yourself. Right now the camera is just better at analyzing the scene and choosing settings than you. But it will never be as good at knowing why you are taking the photo, and what's important to you. When green mode's guess is wrong, that's when you need to take over.

Green mode locks you out of some changes you could make, so when you want to change stuff, P mode is better. In P mode, the camera starts out fully auto, but allows you to instantly change many things.

Each shot you take has its exposure data attached. This can be useful in figuring out why the camera is taking better photos than you.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 08-14-2012 at 09:44 AM.
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The P mode works like the Green mode, until you use the front or rear wheel to set manually the shutter speed or aperture....You can always go back to the "green" mode by pressing the Green button.
Almost :-) The Green button gets you back to P mode. Also in P, you can use exposure compensation, and bias the settings toward fast shutter speed, deep focus, or the lens MTF (sweet spot).

Other modes have uses if you want a specific variable not to vary, such as Av or Tv.
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good advice from everybody. Thank you fellows. I have lots to do now.
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Read the manual. ALL of it.

08-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Read the manual. ALL of it.
It can be a bit overwhelming all at once, but it's OK in pieces.

Relevant to Green Mode, there's page 104 (for the K-5):

In Green Mode, the following functions are unavailable:
  • Changing the shutter speed
  • Changing the aperture value
  • EV compensation
  • Flash menu (Flash On, Slow-speed Sync, Flash Exposure Compensation)
  • Continuous Shooting
  • Focus Mode AF.C
  • D-Range Setting
  • Lens Correction
  • Exposure Bracketing
  • Mirror Lock-Up shooting
  • Multi-exposure
  • Interval shooting
  • Extended Bracketing
  • Digital Filter
  • HDR Capture
  • Cross Processing
  • Horizon Correction
  • Saving as User Mode
  • AE-L and RAW/Fx button operations
  • Button customizations (default settings are used)
  • Custom settings (default settings are used)
  • The control panel cannot be displayed in Green Mode.
Green mode is excellent for handing the camera off to someone inexperienced. P mode is better for taking control.
08-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Does green mode affect a wired remote shutter release? I just got one from BH, and it works haphazardly. Sometimes it won’t do anything, more often it releases the shutter without engaging the autofocus. Sometimes it works correctly. I’m handling the button correctly. Turning the camera off and then on again seems to help, as does unplugging the remote and replacing it. All in all, it’s very frustrating. Could the wired remote be faulty?

P.s., also frustrating is the text editor for this forum. It deletes some spaces, so words are frequently justaposed with others. I then have to edit the post and insert spaces where they were omitted.
08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about your wired release, but as others, I suggest using P-Mode in combination with the green button (rather than the green-mode on the dial setting).

In any mode, even manual, the green button will calculate the exposure as the green mode would with the caveat that what it changes exactly depends on the mode you are in. The manual tells you exactly. The nice thing is that the green button makes it relatively easy to use any mode the camera offers. I always use it as a starting point especially in M-mode where I have a tendency to forget where I am at if it has been a while between shots and exposure conditions are significantly different.
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

@Tatume
QuoteQuote:
...also frustrating is the text editor for this forum. It deletes some spaces, so words are frequently justaposed with others. I then have to edit the post and insert spaces where they were omitted.
If you're writing inside the editor window on your screen, your input should show nearly immediately. But if you analyse the network traffic, you can see that your input is sent to the forum IP only several seconds later.

So I would think your problems may be caused by some bad integration of the Java machine running on your computer. It may not work well together with either your keyboard, operating system, network services, or the website code of the forum. It may be too slow.
It is also not impossible these problems are caused by some background services running on your computer. It is very unlikely the fault is website based.

You have to type in slowly. Maybe your system doesn't buffer keyboard inputs well enough. If there is an overflow, character inputs could be lost.
Seldom a bad advice: try to find out whether you have installed the latest Java machine on your computer.
08-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm finding P-mode to be quite enlightening, thank you. Like everything else we learn, answers generate more questions. It appears that Av and Tv modes are but subsets of P-mode. Are there any intrinsic advantages to them that aren't present in P-mode?

Thanks, Tom
08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
P mode is better. In P mode, the camera starts out fully auto, but allows you to instantly change many things.
Thanks, thanks, thanks! This is the most illuminating and succinct explanation of P mode that I've seen.
08-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
I'm finding P-mode to be quite enlightening, thank you. Like everything else we learn, answers generate more questions. It appears that Av and Tv modes are but subsets of P-mode. Are there any intrinsic advantages to them that aren't present in P-mode?
The Pentax interface and two control dials can make all the other modes look unnecessary. Each mode is just a certain way of choosing aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get the right image, so they all get to the same destination in different ways. It depends on how you want to work, and what you want to control. The mode with an intrinsic advantage works the same way you think. Or in my case, the modes that I remember how the camera works without looking it up.

Another name for Av is Aperture Priority Mode, indicating its purpose. If you want to control aperture directly and let the camera choose complementary values that go along with it, use Av mode. The aperture setting affects the depth of field in an image. Say you are on a mountain top at noon and want a photo of the view, with everything in sharp focus. The camera comes up with some settings just like in P mode, but you want to change the aperture to f16 or f11 for that huge depth of field. The camera will alter the other values to suit that. Later, if you want a photo with one flower in sharp focus and an out-of-focus background, you select f2.8 and the camera does tthe same thing.

If you want to control shutter speed, use Tv. Maybe you are trying to get a shot at 300mm, so you set the shutter speed to 1/500 to reduce camera shake. Then you want to show some motion by panning, so you change to 1/30.

Tv or Av modes can work with Auto ISO but make more sense to me with a fixed ISO. With one fixed value for ISO, there's one value I control directly and one set by the camera. I can use exposure compensation in Av and know that it adjusts shutter speed. Exposure compensation in Tv adjusts aperture.

Sv lets you set a particular ISO and the camera chooses aperture and shutter speed to match. Since I use a fixed ISO, that's just about how P mode works for me.

TAv is the opposite - you pick aperture and shutter speed, and the camera chooses an ISO to make those work. This mode could be useful in extreme conditions, say shooting birds at dawn with a long telephoto lens. You want the aperture fully open for the most light, and the shutter speed fast enough to stop movement blur. The camera can pick a low ISO in bright sun, or shift to a high value in deep shade.

M mode has you controlling everything.

You can use the green button to give you the camera's ideas about initial settings for each shot, or a quick reset for new conditions - like stepping outside at a wedding.