Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x and PK_Tether problem?

Recently I found and downloaded PK_Tether for use with my K-x. It worked fine with the camera's original firmware. Then I also noted a thread on here about updating the firmware for the camera to (hopefully) correct the battery status error, which mine had. So, I did that. Now Tether does not seem to transfer the photos correctly. They appear to have had the pixels mixed up then improperly placed so the photo looks like a jumble of colors. I have attached a couple of them for examples. Any ideas for corrections or improvements?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
08-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #2

My K-x does just the same, takes the first pic OK then produces a similar effect to yours. I had updated the software before trying pk tether so cannot tell if that is the reason.

Alan
08-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Firmware Version 1.02

My Pentax K-x runs firmware 1.02 and has no problems with PK_Tether. I did not upgrade to 1.03 (since I do not use large SD cards).
I believe that you can revert your firmware to older version if desired, at least, for testing.
08-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri P. Quote
I believe that you can revert your firmware to older version if desired, at least, for testing.
I would revert back but do not know how to do so. I would appreciate any assistance you could give me on how to change the firmware in my camera back to 1.02, or even 1.01, I'll put up with the battery status problem if I can shoot tethered.

08-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

I hope you guys don't mind me tagging onto your thread but I thought it would save a new thread cluttering up the forum.

Anyway, my question. What are the settings adjusted by the highlighted section on PKT? I think one maybe WB but I have been unable to find anything online.

Thanks guys.
08-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
You are correct; it is white balance adjustment. The G is green ("-" makes the image more magenta, "+" makes it more green) B is blue ("-" makes yellow, "+" makes blue). There is no R, because -G and -B =R (just like +B+G=C)
08-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #7

Thank you very much for that. Now I can experiment with them knowing what to look for.

08-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #8

Doesn't look like anyone else shares this problem then! Is it unique to the K-x?

Alan
08-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #9

I noticed that images' EXIF shows really small image size (1024px wide). Was the camera set to make such small images? Could this be a culprit?
09-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri P. Quote
I noticed that images' EXIF shows really small image size (1024px wide). Was the camera set to make such small images? Could this be a culprit?
Simply put, no. I have played around with various resolutions and it does it with them all. It actually started with the lower res, but does it in all now. Tried resetting to default settings and nothing. I got a copy of the original firmware version and reset to default, again no luck. Beginning to think it may be some sort of glitch in my desktop PC. Getting a new laptop next week and will try that,hopefully it will work correctly.
09-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My previous post today got me curious about the PK_Tether program again, so played around a bit. When I first connect with Tether, first photo transfers fine. Second one does not transfer correctly. If I turn camera off, hear computer sound indicating the device is disconnected then turn it on again, hear the sound, I can take a photo and it transfers correctly. This makes me think it is something in my desktop, not the camera. I just wish I could figure it out. When my laptop comes in, I'll try with it. If it works well on laptop, I am okay because I'll use it for tethered shooting. In the meantime, any comments or suggestions are welcome.
09-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #12

Yes, I did exactly the same (but not reverted to the previous firmware though) and I have exactly the same problem - first picture OK, subsequent ones just the same mass of jumbled colours. Let us know how you get on with the new laptop.

Alan
09-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #13

A couple more of usual suspects:

1. Is this USB 1.0 or 2.0 that you use?
2. Is there a USB hub involved in connecting the camera?
3. Do you use original Pentax cable?
4. Do you shoot JPG, RAW or RAW+?

These things may be to obvious but checking them will not hurt.
09-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #14

I use USB 2.0, no hub, original Pentax cable shooting JPG. Haven't tried with RAW yet - will do so when I am back from holiday in a couple of weeks. Only other thing I can think of is that I use XP. Still puzzled why the first picture takes OK, subsequent ones do all sorts of wierd things!
10-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PK_Tether working now

My original problem occurred when I used the pop-up flash on my K-x. I made a few attempts to figure out the problem but discovered no relevant discoveries. That is until last weekend when I started a job using my radio slaves and transmitter for my lights. Everything worked perfectly. Every photo transferred without a problem. I am thinking the program works well with the slaves but not with the camera's pop-up flash, possibly because the flash draws too much power from the camera batteries and the transmitter and slaves do not rely on them. Also noticed the camera batteries do drop in power quite quickly when tethered to a computer. I am repeating the process tomorrow and hoping I am right.