Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Problem

Morning folks
Out and about yesterday and went to change lenses on my K-5 when I found that the lens release button has gone missing. How big a job is this to fix? Can I buy a new part or is it something I have to send the camera away for? Couple of big trips coming up within the next couple of weeks including one European trip which is a pure photography trip so it couldn't be at a worse time.

08-14-2012, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It's a return to Pentax repair, but I've seen a number of posts where others have simply used a probe of some sort to operate the lens release mechanism as a stop-gap pending a convenient time to get a permanent repair.
08-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That might be the solution - I was worried it might damage the mechanism but I assume if I get something the right diameter and length it will do the trick (although slightly more awkward).
08-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax USA has sent out DIY kits for fixing that issue. Call Pentax UK ASAP to see if you can get one mailed to you.

08-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #5

See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/189715-lens-release-button-replacement.html

I see it's a common problem, better have made one out of aluminum!
08-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Been on the phone to Johnsons who are the official UK centre. They're stating that it has to go in to them and will be a minimum of 15 working days. They didn't seem to think it was a common fault and hadn't heard of the idea of sending out kits. To say I'm less than impressed with them is an understatement. I've been looking at the possibility of changing to Nikon for ff and have to say I've move3d a lot closer to that plan this afternoon.
08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
Been on the phone to Johnsons who are the official UK centre. They're stating that it has to go in to them and will be a minimum of 15 working days. They didn't seem to think it was a common fault and hadn't heard of the idea of sending out kits. To say I'm less than impressed with them is an understatement. I've been looking at the possibility of changing to Nikon for ff and have to say I've move3d a lot closer to that plan this afternoon.
I'd contact Pentax UK directly. You can look around the forum and see that several have gotten repair kits, but they have (to the best of my knowledge) been in the US.