Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

K 5 cpl and viewfinder issue

Has anybody noticed a slight reddish hue on the left h side of the viewfinder split exactly in half when using a k 5 with stock 18-55 and 50-200 using a cpl filter at 6.00 pm 2 hrs before sunset at any rotation of the filter no effect on images just a bit annoying, I use K 5 for coasteering shots for sale to coasteerers (is that a new word) fantastic camera, no effect with straight lens ( no filter) important I use cpl as I'm shooting on the coast line. Any advise welcome Gary (UK).

08-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Extreme G Quote
Has anybody noticed a slight reddish hue on the left h side of the viewfinder split exactly in half when using a k 5 with stock 18-55 and 50-200 using a cpl filter at 6.00 pm 2 hrs before sunset at any rotation of the filter no effect on images just a bit annoying, I use K 5 for coasteering shots for sale to coasteerers (is that a new word) fantastic camera, no effect with straight lens ( no filter) important I use cpl as I'm shooting on the coast line. Any advise welcome Gary (UK).
I would think, this is not an polarization effect, but simply a result of the slow lenses, which already produce a somewhat dimmer viewfinder image, combined with the lower sun angle and the added light loss by the filter? Anyway your description really sounds a bit strange to me. Could it be, that you get stray light into the viewfinder?

I do not even know, what else I should ask to clarify the mistery more - so, if you have any additional observation, please note those as well.

Ben
08-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, just to say the comment on lower light entering the viewfinder sounds plausible as when. I remove the filter the image 'brightens up' and the issue goes away. What puzzles me is it wasn't twilight. Stray light ? Entering from the gap between my face and the rear of the camera, I cupped my hand over the back of the camera no difference. I will look tomorow and note down some light readings and double check any stray light. The two filters are different makes on the different lenses. More tomorow cheers
08-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok light level, Meta data f 11, 1/200, ISO 100 so light level not too low to create a prism error also placed a towel over head like a Victorian photographer, no change.

just to add I take around 300-400 images a day for 6 days a week.

I will take the camera to Jessops where i purchased it from 2 weeks ago.

I have noticed another error with the camera but will post in the correct place.