Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5 & Sigma EF-610 DG Super ?? NOT WORKING

Can someone please tell my in "dummy terms" how to set this flash up PLLLLLEASE ? I'm trying it out now for the first time, and it just wont fire. I have on a sigma 28-105 2.8-4.0 , set at 4.0 aperture, auto iso, in aperture mode. I tried following the directions in the manual and putting it in PTTL mode, it says "TTL" in the top left hand corner, and a "P" under that, offset about 1/4 inch to the right. Im so lost. can someone please walk me through this, step by step please ? also, is it normal that I cant push the buttons on the flash, while the camera is turned on ? I push the buttons to try to change modes, and see if any other mode on the camera will work, but the buttons dont respond. I turn the camera off, and then the buttons work. I paid $225 for this thing, Id love to be able to use it. thank you.

08-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is your shutter speed set to 1/180 or slower?
08-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, it is automatically set to slow speeds bc I'm in aperture mode, in low light. I finally got it to work, but something still isn't right. The focal length on the screen isn't changing when I zoom out with the lens. It's stuck at 17mm. All of my shots are over exposed. So then I bump up my aperture up to 10-11, and it helps. But still, I want to be able to use the lens the way it's supposed to work. In auto mode, this lens is supposed to compensate for lens zoom length and adjust the power accordingly. I don't want to have to "work around" the issue w/ my aperture.
08-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-r and the Sigma EF-610 DG Super flash. I figured out right away that I needed to have BOTH my camera manual AND the flash manual open because each device has settings that affect the other device, but neither manual gives any specific about the other device. Also, I'm not familiar with the lens you indicate. Does this lens report its current focal length to your K-5 the same as a Pentax DA lens would do, or do you have to tell your K-5 the focal length when you turn on the camera? If you have to manually tell your K-5 what focal length you are using, you will have to do likewise with the flash.

...one of the things I noticed is that you input your actual focal length in the camera, but you input your effective focal length in the flash. Also, if you are overexposed at its widest setting, you would be really overexposed if the flash zoomed to match your lens' focal length. Zooming the flash to a longer focal length causes the flash to concentrate its output into a smaller area.

08-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
The focal length on the screen isn't changing when I zoom out with the lens
If you are using an AF zoom lens, the changing FL should be communicated to the body and the ext. flash. When this happens to me, it usually means I don't have the 530 DG Super pushed far enough into the camera's flash mount, or one of the pins on the flash foot is a little sticky and not coming out far enough. (They're spring-loaded and you should be able to press a pin in the foot inwards with your thumbnail and have it freely come out again.) It could be the "Digital" pin shown below.

If you can, try the flash on another body. Then you know whether it's being caused by the flash or the body.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 08-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Isnwm Quote
The focal length on the screen isn't changing when I zoom out with the lens. It's stuck at 17mm.
The focal length will stay at 17mm when you are using the drop-down diffuser.

I would suggest you keep the manual handy. The flash menus are not easy to master, you will need to read and re-read.