Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

controller flash problem

hi everyone, im just wondering if i have this wrong or not. i got a slave maker 2 optical flash trigger on a old flash and i was seeing if it worked. so i started playing with my k5 in wireless flash mode setting the flash to trigger and not master. the thing is the camera is still picking up the on camera flash and barely picking up my optical slave flash. is there something wrong with either the flash trigger or the k5? do i have some settings mixed up?

08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update:

just tried wireless mode on my metz 48 af 1 and same problem, the on board flash seems to be registering but the off camera flash seems to not register at all! frustrated
08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not 100% clear on what you're doing... By onboard flash, do you mean the pop-up flash built into the camera?
the pop-up flash can only be used as either 1. Flash and wireless trigger at same time. or 2. Wireless trigger only.

Can you trigger the Metz wirelessly by the pop-up flash only? The metz will have to be in slave mode, obviously and there's only so much range that the built in flash will cover, so try starting out from 1m away.

The slave maker flash trigger thingy may not be the right flash voltage.
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By register do you mean it affects the exposure of the image?

Assuming the flash actually fires then with the manual flash it should be firing at full power unless you have power settings on the flash set otherwise. The only things that would then affect whether the flash 'registers' is the distance from the flash to the subject and any power settings on the flash.

On the Metz, you need to set the flash to 'slave' and the camera to controller. This should trigger the flash on the camera only to control the Metz and the on camera flash should not add much to the exposure. Again the amount of affect on exposure is controlled by the distance from flash to subject and any power settings on the flash.

The aperture setting of the camera will have the biggest affect on exposure but since it seems you are concerned by the relative affect of the two different flashes this should not be an issue.

08-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
just read online that the pentax k5 flash was upgraded in power so that the on camera flash does indeed contribute to exposure a little bit.

playing around with my metz it seems to work in wireless mode when its off full power. it seems it lags when fired at full power and does not contribute to the exposure at all.

now my optical flash thingie mambober does fire but does not contribute to exposure at all. (slave maker II)

my metz is on wireless slave mode and i have my on board flash on trigger only. i basically have the flashes really close to the subject if that helps (within 1 meter)
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
just put the slave maker II on a pc cable connected to the k5 and it fires perfectly giving me flash exposure but in wireless slave mode it seems to be either too slow or too fast for the camera to pick up.

its also weird that my metz only works in flash powers under 1/1 in wireless mode. :s
08-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could it be that you had the Metz flash in what they call "servo" mode.
This way it behaves like a simple manual wireless and triggers whenever it sees a light pulse.

Your P-TTL pre flash would set it off before the shutter opens.

At full power the duration of the flash lighting from the Metz is something like 125 milliseconds so some of this light would show up in your expusure.
At lower power settings the duration of the flash light from the Metz is shorter, it might only be something like ?? 20 milliseconds so this would already be gone bofore your shutter opens and it would not show up in the exposure.
08-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
i dont think its in servo mode. it does work if its at 1/2 and below tho, but once at 1/1 it just ends up dark and only my trigger flash is present.

08-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Have you tried putting the mode dial (on the camera) in X (flash sync) mode?

This is for when your external flash does not automatically set the shutter speed.
08-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote

This is for when your external flash does not automatically set the shutter speed.
on the actual flash or camera? the metz flash just has the setting for wireless triggering and the old school flash with the optical trigger fires but does not sync as it either fires too soon or too late...
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote

On the camera...