Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 with film era lenses

I recently bought a SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7. Firstly it was advertised on fleabay as the FA version... but anyway. This is my first film era lens and it fits as it should on my K5. The problem is that my K5 does not recognise the lens. I cant use live few, focus or activate the shutter.

Do I have to change anything on the camera so it can read it?

Thanks

This is the lens... https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-50mm-F1.7-Lens.html&page=2#reviewlist

08-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, make sure it's in A mode so that it does recognize the lens. Otherwise, read this thread to be able to use the aperture ring: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I believe that lens is an AF lens so the body should recognize it. I suggest cleaning the contacts in case of contamination. If you're trying to use the lens in "A" mode then I believe pezmaker has you covered with that link.
08-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

Make sure the contacts are clean and the lens is fully seated. It should recognize it with no problems at all. You should even be able to get all live view and use the shutter even on a fully manual lens! I know I do when I use them.

08-16-2012, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A mode is likely the culprit - enable use of aperture ring in the menu will fix it if you want to use it out of a mode (no real reason to though)
and the contacts cleaned if it doesn't fix it
08-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I be damned! "A" mode is there for a reason. Thanks a stack. Think I paid way to much for the lens but hope it will bring me joy. Thanks again!
08-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightningthief Quote
Well I be damned! "A" mode is there for a reason. Thanks a stack. Think I paid way to much for the lens but hope it will bring me joy. Thanks again!
Fortunately, Pentax 50mm lenses are universally good. As long as you aren't stinging too bad, you should be happy...though I'd raise a stink on eBay about that seller misrepresenting the item, or at least message him and make sure he didn't accidentally send you something else. That happened to me once!
08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Fortunately, Pentax 50mm lenses are universally good. As long as you aren't stinging too bad, you should be happy...though I'd raise a stink on eBay about that seller misrepresenting the item, or at least message him and make sure he didn't accidentally send you something else. That happened to me once!

I guess its not all bad. I managed to get the SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 (manual) + the SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 + a Super Ozeck 135mm F2.8 (which I have never heard of) all for 175. I guess I can recoup about 60 for the manual 50mm which makes the deal not that bad. I only wanted the auto one.. but at least this gives me an opportunity to buy some cheap extension tubes with no electronics inside to use with the manual lenses for macro.

I was close to buying some extention tubes but they are pricey! Around 80 - 160 for tubes which would allow you to controll apperture. If anyone knows of cheaper versions... PLEASE let me know.

Thanks again! Love this forum!

08-16-2012, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightningthief Quote
I was close to buying some extention tubes but they are pricey! Around 80 - 160 for tubes which would allow you to controll apperture. If anyone knows of cheaper versions... PLEASE let me know.
Find a cheap teleconverter with A contacts and take the glass out.
08-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

You can use inexpensive K-Mount extension tubes that have aperture linkage, but without the electric contact points (M-series style). They will work perfectly with exposure automation so long as you are using an A-series lens or newer.

Here are the photos:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...ml#post1965895

If you scroll up a couple posts from the photos, you'll have complete instructions.