Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also think f35-70mm can be a good choice for you.
actually your 50-200 kit lens is just fine. but it might not get as close as you want when you shoot very small product.

08-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use your existing shots to help you narrow down lens options. They should all have EXIF data. Look for the focal length. The Fuji lens goes from 4.2 to 126mm, but those numbers are for a small sensor and have to be converted to APS-C. My calculations say that multiplying the Fuji's focal length by 3.81 will give you a focal length that would produce the same result (field of view)on your K-r. The EXIF should also give you distance, which won't need to be converted.

You may have a range of focal lengths from the Fuji. Those (when converted as above) should be within the range of your current lenses, so you can check to see if I'm right - see if you get the same field of view you got with the Fuji. That should give you a starting point for focal lengths to consider. Then it's a matter of finding a lens in the right range of focal lengths, that can focus on the subject.

Your current lenses probably don't focus as closely as you can get with the Fuji, rated at 1cm in its closeup mode. If your distance to subject is really short, finding a direct equivalent may be a problem, because you may need a different setup and camera position to get the same subject and focus. How are you doing the lighting, and is that adaptable to a new setup?

What might work for you is the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 and the Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconverter with P-K/A contacts. As others have mentioned, it's manual focus but with a stationary subject and studio environment, that shouldn't be a huge problem. The Vivitar accessory gives you a variable magnification ratio and a much shorter minimum focus distance. The A contacts on the lens and teleconverter make controlling the higher-end flashes easier, and setting up the camera. You can get the cheapest possible version of the same lens (SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7) and TC with no contacts for maybe 60% of that cost and produce identical images with more work.
08-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #18

Original Poster
Dave, thank you for that I appreciate the help. I am currently working on taking shots with my 18-55 lens set to 50mm to see how I get on. If this goes well then I can think about which 50 prime to get. I also like to mess about with macro so I may end up sticking with the lens I have and looking at a macro lens. My missus wont let me spend a lot on lenses :-(

Here are a couple which I think are ok and at least match the Fuji. Wallace & Gromet have had a little pp but the batteries are SOOC. The battery shot was also looking at DoF.

Manual, f/11, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, 50mm, TT560 Speedlight and Pringles Snoot set at 1/64

Manual, f/8, 1/160 sec, ISO 200, 50mm, TT560 Speedlight set at ? (Can't remember)

Last edited by Ray Hines; 08-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

For a dedicated macro lens... within budget...

try: SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database or SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database or SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database or SMC Pentax-A 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

None of these have AF (which even with an AF lens you'll most likely turn off for macro work)... All are tack sharp (as expected in a macro lens)...

08-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
Wallace & Gromet have had a little pp
Cracking!
08-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #21

Thanks Kona I'll have a look at your recommendations. It's appreciated.

Jeff, it's lens tech advice I'm after most of those photos were taken with the Fuji. If you know anything about lenses then you know more than me :-)
Looks like you're not far from me seeing those Dartmoor photos of yours, I'm in Torbay.
Hi Ray

Yeah I live in Plymouth, not too far away. Not having done much in this I can't offer much advice but to suggest a prime, the da 35 f2.4 is a reasonable price or look at secondhand manual primes.

All the best

Jeff
08-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #22

Original Poster
I've been playing for hours now with the K-r set to 50mm or 35mm taking some comparative photos to those I'd taken previously with the Fuji. It's not been too difficult to play with a fixed lens and I've decided to not rush into anything right now. I have made a note of all the suggestions you have all made and will look more closely into getting a Macro lens. I may have to start saving, but xmas isn't far away :-)

Anyway, thank you all for your warm welcome and helpful information. I will probably be back with more DSLR Newbie questions and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the site as well. :-)

08-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've decided to not rush into anything right now. I have made a note of all the suggestions you have all made and will look more closely into getting a Macro lens.
This is a good bet... When it gets a little sooner to the time you may be able to try different lenses out at a pentaxuser.co.uk meet in the Devon area (you may have to set a meet up...)
08-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #24

Original Poster
The chances of me returning to pentaxuser.co.uk after my brief visit yesterday are slim to nil. :-) I'll be staying here where the welcome is warmer and I can mention things not Pentax related :-)

Thanks for your help anyway Dave.
08-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The chances of me returning to pentaxuser.co.uk after my brief visit yesterday are slim to nil. :-) I'll be staying here where the welcome is warmer and I can mention things not Pentax related :-)
LOL!!

Does get a bit stuffy - I agree. However, there are some very nice folk on there also and meet-ups can be good fun!
08-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #26

Original Poster
I'll keep an eye out for people like you and Jeff on here on the wrong side of the pond :-) I think I've already burnt my bridges with the admin, who really does need to have a look around the shops and see that some cameras don't start with a P. And, people don't always talk about photography. :-)