Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using on board K5 flash indoors

Hi guys! I've only had my K5 for about two weeks. I'm doing pretty well with it outside in natural light. I tried taking some pictures at a wedding inside yesterday with the onboard flash and they came out terrible. Would the AF 360 flash help? Thanks!!

08-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes but dont use the flash on the camera
08-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrible is pretty vague.

The folks here can be very helpful if you post a photo with exposure info.

(ie vignetting (lens used helps here)? Fall off? Over exposure? Etc etc)
08-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The on board flash for any dslr is useful only for emergencies and fill in flash. The problem is that the on board flash is too close to the centerline of the lens and tends to overexpose the face and even when exposed properly gives you a 'flat' look without much definition. To achieve good results using flash you need a good hot shoe mounted flash and as Anvh states it is best when used remote ie not on the camera. Of course that is a whole different learning curve.

You can also get good results using it in bounce mode if the ceiling is suitable. But that cuts way down on the amount of light delivered.

Both of Pentax's current flashes are somewhat dated. Certainly they both work, however take a look at the Metz offerings before deciding. I have the Metz 48 and am quite happy with it. The 48 has been discontinued I believe and there is now a newer model.

Also, as Matt noted it does depend on the lens used. For example the on board flash will vignette heavily when used with the DA*16-50 as the lens sticks out into the flash light beam and blocks part of it.

08-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Oh yes! Sorry! I was just the 18-55 kit lens. I'm assuming that had a lot to do with the poor pictures with the flash. Like I said I'm doing pretty well with it outside in natural light.
08-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
I will look at the Metz flashes too! Thanks!!

Last edited by ChuckB28; 08-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.
08-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Terrible is pretty vague.

The folks here can be very helpful if you post a photo with exposure info.

(ie vignetting (lens used helps here)? Fall off? Over exposure? Etc etc)

I'm sorry I didn't keep any of them they were so bad.

I'm having problems transitioning from the point and shoot to the DSLR. I had a Canon IS 2000 point and shoot (before I dropped it) and I consistently got good photos from it. But there's the things you can't do with a point and shoot is why I bought a K5.

It seems like when using the onboard flash, the camera doesn't compensate for the flash when determining exposure.

08-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
I took this picture yesterday as well (in natural light) and I think it came out well...

http://www.DJChuckB.com/cat.jpg
08-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Brilliant picture ! You should be very pleased with that, anything alive that you can't direct is always a tricky subject. It's a great shot.

Flash wise I tend to ignore the in built one and just try different things with a separate unit either mounted in the hot shoe or off camera. I've been messing around with one of the cheap Yongnuo 560's (£50 in the uk) just to learn things on a budget. It's only manual so you have to play with power but a little application and ingenuity and the results are great.Put basically the camera can't tell it how bright to be so you have to decide, but then it is very cheap !
The on board flash can act as a trigger to make the 560 flash when away from the camera and although not ideal it saves money on radio triggers whilst I'm just starting out. So the shot you see here is with a flash outlay of £50 held just out of shot to the left by my wife, the on board flash (turned down quite low) fires the Yongnuo and I was pretty darn pleased with the image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by London Rob; 08-19-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
08-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash exposures are aperture controlled. If you chat with any of the regulars on the forum, they will comment that the exposure chosen by the camera is for the ambient ( sync capped @ 1/180) If you were in Av or M mode and if you are experiencing over exposure stop it down. In Auto mode you might try reducing the flash power by a stop or two.

i recommend reading Peterson's "Understanding exposure", and "Understanding flash photography". Very clear language for high comprehension and ease of reading. The manual can be of assistance too.
08-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ah thank you! I'll look into that.
08-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you are going for an external flash, at the very least, get one that tilts. Swivel is nice too, but tilt is very helpful for situations where you must use the flash on the body.
08-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A cheap interim solution is the Lightscoop or something similar, to bounce the pop-up flash off the ceiling. The technique works surprisingly well. I haven't used the Lightscoop but I have rigged up something similar with a small mirror.
08-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #14

I have this one, it doesn't cost much and is enough for me because a don't use flash very much. It's pttl and it can flip to bounce to the ceiling.

Polaroid PL108 TTL Flash for Pentax | Overstock.com

It uses 2 AA and it takes some time to charge, but it a cheap option, and it's very small so I can put it in my bag and forget about it.
I had the Pentax 360 before but it was to large for me, It wasn't natural for me to use it.