Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sand + tri pod legs = PITA

Any tips to cleaning sand from the legs, and the leg clamps? Ever since I made this shot I've had gritty remorse.

Thanks for any suggestions.

08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice shot!

Without taking the thing apart, a pressure-washer might help, but you'll really need to take it apart.

And taking it apart depends on the type of tripod/ manufacturer... I've only had Gitzo and Feisols, and both are almost completely disassemble-able for cleaning. The Gitzo strips down to bare tubes and piles of parts if you want to go that far...
08-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd probably use compressed air before using a pressure washer.

The water might cause fittings to rust etc (depending on what they're made of)
08-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. The side effect of the sand was totally worth it for a shot like that.

Most aluminium / carbon fibre tripods are pretty good for corrosion resistance. I would be tempted to dip the legs (not head etc) into a bucket of clean water and then leave it in the sun (fully extended) to dry (or use heat to dry fairly promptly). Bare in mind my tripod is not top notch so the risk for me would not be too bad.

08-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'll have a closer look at taking it apart (was trying to avoid that truth be told). I already gave it the once over with the garden hose but by that point the leg had already been retracted and extended. I use a Manfrotto 190 XB.
08-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
simple but carefully

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Thanks guys, I'll have a closer look at taking it apart (was trying to avoid that truth be told). I already gave it the once over with the garden hose but by that point the leg had already been retracted and extended. I use a Manfrotto 190 XB.
I bought a used Benro carbon fiber that had sand in it. Never taken one apart but each leg section has plastic sliders that only fit in one direction to work properly. Was able to take all legs apart and wash them with simple hand soap in the tub. It was tricky at first but just be careful in what order and what direction each piece goes and you should be fine. Drying in the sun sounds like a good idea, mine still smells musty after drying indoors.

08-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
I bought a used Benro carbon fiber that had sand in it. Never taken one apart but each leg section has plastic sliders that only fit in one direction to work properly. Was able to take all legs apart and wash them with simple hand soap in the tub. It was tricky at first but just be careful in what order and what direction each piece goes and you should be fine. Drying in the sun sounds like a good idea, mine still smells musty after drying indoors.

A hair dryer can be helpful.

08-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

i use a manfrotto and rinse it in the shower while still at the beach to prevent the clamps from seizing up. later, i soak it in the bathtub or disassemble it and do a thorough cleaning. spray locks with WD-40 to remove the water and all set for next time.

some tips, for sand shooting, lower the smallest segment of the leg first (contrary to usual tripod theory), to keep the lowest clamp from being submerged...this keeps the sand out in the first place. Also, spread legs as wide as they will go and really jam the legs into the wet sand as the wave is in. If you have a center column, this is what it was made for, a 4th leg in wet sand.
08-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
lower the smallest segment of the leg first
And there lies the problem!

Being the smart guy I am I did not do that... and the thread was born. In my particular instance, I had my Kr susended inverted from the centre... hoping the waves didnt prove the absence of WR seals! Thanks for the tips.
08-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

a wonderful photo, btw!