Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #1

Second Curtain Sync is inactive. K-5

There is the table on page 88 of User Manual that tells about possibility of Second Curtain Sync using integrated flash (with shutter speed lower than 1\90). But "Second Curtain Sync" is always inactive on all Modes (I cant select it).
What am I doing wrong?

08-20-2012, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can only use 2. curtain synch with an AF lens or A-series.
The body needs to know aperture and speed.
08-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You can only use 2. curtain synch with an AF lens or A-series.
The body needs to know aperture and speed.
Thx, I'll check it out at home.
I've read user manual, and I didn't get if it is possible to make a photo with two flash triggers:
- first - after the shutter opens
- second - before the shutter closes

Is it possible?

Last edited by AndreyS; 08-20-2012 at 04:08 AM.
08-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To your question: No, I don't think it is possible, but there is work-around.

I have a sigma 530 super flash that can set to stroboscope mode and do the same trick, but you need to time the second flash according to your shutter speed.
Also you need a black, non reflective background to play with multiple flash bursts.

I have not tried other way to reproduce this effect.
What about multiple exposure feature? ie set your flash to first curtain synch, power 1/4 or lower, and set multiple exposure to 2 or more frames?

Anyway, it's hard to time the stroboscope correctly according to the speed of subject.
You may need to shot multiple single frames and post processing to blend them as one image for best result, and technically easiest way to do.
For speedy frame rate, use flash power 1/8 for consistency - that should be good for 5-7 frames.