Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10 Shutter died

Hi!

My K10's shutter just stopped working last saturday. My camera has 29 652 shots on the counter. AF-works but when I fully press the shutter release button I can only hear the normal humming noise of the image stabilizer - the mirror won't move and the shutter doesn't open. Aperture actuator is also dead - even the aperture preview won't work. Camera doesn't save any image data eventhough I can hear the noise from the image stabilizer. I don't get any error codes.

I can still lift the mirror and move aperture actuator with my finger when lens is removed.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Is it even worth sending the body for service?

This really is the worst time for my body to brake as the K5 has just been discontinued and we have to wait the successor to be released for some months... Of course that means that the price of the K5 will probably fall but is it worth buying when there is not too much information about successor...

08-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hemppo Quote
Hi!

My K10's shutter just stopped working last saturday. My camera has 29 652 shots on the counter. AF-works but when I fully press the shutter release button I can only hear the normal humming noise of the image stabilizer - the mirror won't move and the shutter doesn't open. Aperture actuator is also dead - even the aperture preview won't work. Camera doesn't save any image data eventhough I can hear the noise from the image stabilizer. I don't get any error codes.

I can still lift the mirror and move aperture actuator with my finger when lens is removed.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Is it even worth sending the body for service?

This really is the worst time for my body to brake as the K5 has just been discontinued and we have to wait the successor to be released for some months... Of course that means that the price of the K5 will probably fall but is it worth buying when there is not too much information about successor...
Sadly given the cost of repairs in general and the age of the K10 it's probably not worth servicing, you could pick up a used k10 for about $200 and service will be at least that i would guess.
The K5 is still a topnotch camera in it's category as long as their are bodies at retail for you to pick up. Certainly expect any replacement to be more in the $1200-1300 plus range, where a K5 can be had for about $800-$850 lately
Expect a new model to have a 24 mp sensor, better processor (maybe dual) better af and video controls, Focus peaking. beyond that who knows?
the new model likely won't hit stores until October as well (unless it announces before Photokina)
Benjikan has been hinting at features, I'm betting he has a beta test model and won't tell
If you don't need a camera for a while then you may want to wait (with the caveat that the K5 may be pretty thin on the ground by Photokina) or grab an inexpensive older body to use as a backup until the new model is out. resale won't change much at this point on anything K10 and older.
08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

This problem is related with the charging mechanism (shutter,aperture,mirror),
can be the charging motor, like the gears after or it's power supply............
It's right, a full open service (without parts) cost around like one used (in Europe)
08-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When my K10 Shutter died (3 years ago now), I did 2 things, got a K7 and got the K10 fxed by pentax canada, as I saw the K10 at that time as worth the $325 the charged to replace the shutter, mirror mechanism, and lens mount (no idea why the mount other than it was scratched) plus full cleaning. As they are 20 miles from where I live it was a no brainer, took 10 days over 2 weekends and a national holiday to get it back

The K10D still does some things well, especially low ISO.

08-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies!

Maybe I just should walk to a local store to get an offer of K5 with DA35 ltd... One more thing to remind me why to work hard...
08-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

GX10/K10D Repair - Tomelec
04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

My story is the same as the OP. Ive tried charging the battery, reseting, etc

I'm not sure if its worth fixing at this point. I'm pretty happy with the k10d except for it's high ISO performance and lack of video option, if such a moment should arise. I love the dual dial ergonomics of the k10d so I'm not sure if I can go to a k30.. but I can't help to think about the nice lenses on my wish list that I could get by not getting the k5II...