Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #1

Third-party lens question

HI Guys,

I am looking to buy a Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro as I am looking to shoot sports, but the ad says it is 'for Canon.' This is something I have often seen on vendor websites too. Third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron are often written as '... for Nikon' '... for Canon' etc. Does that mean that if the third-party lens says it is for Nikon or Canon I won't be able to use it on a Pentax K-x or K-7 body?

08-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
HI Guys,

I am looking to buy a Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro as I am looking to shoot sports, but the ad says it is 'for Canon.' This is something I have often seen on vendor websites too. Third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron are often written as '... for Nikon' '... for Canon' etc. Does that mean that if the third-party lens says it is for Nikon or Canon I won't be able to use it on a Pentax K-x or K-7 body?
You will find the same lenses for different mounts (Canon, Pentax, Nikon etc) but may have different price tags (Pentax mount tends to be higher due to lower sales volume) or availability. This is why they will specify in adverts which mount/brand it is for. Also some third party lenses are not made for various mounts eg I don't think the Sigma 180mm Macro is made in Pentax mount but it is in canon and Nikon.

To answer you question, when a particular lens is marked as "for canon" it is only compatible with Canon cameras. To buy a lens for Pentax, you need to look for "k-mount" or "for Pentax".
08-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a supplement to the above:

You can indeed find a Tamron 70-200 for your Pentax. Again, different camera brands have different mounts so, you need to get the lens with the right mount.

I can see that you are from Sweden so, here's a link to Tamron, Sweden:

Tamron Europe: single[cam]=&tx_keproducts_pi6[vc]=false&tx_keproducts_pi6[sp]=false

Note that there is a "selection key": Does this lens fit my camera?
08-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Chaos and Stone.