Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Weird grinding noise - K-x

If I am doing a long exposure and the camera is not pointing upwards, I sometimes get a strange whirring/vibrating noise. The camera is noticeably vibrating in my hand. It will continually vibrate. I can only stop it by ending the exposure or point the camera straight up?

It just happened to me in Bulb mode.

I don't think it's the shake reduction?

If my camera is supposed to be doing this, how do I turn this off? No good for astrophotography.

08-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't think that it is shake reduction... I have to ask, is SR turned off?
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you doing handheld bulb exposures?
08-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm doing 35 second exposures in Bulb mode with an IR remote that I built for long exposures. I have the K-x on my desk while doing so, so effectively a tripod. I thought that SR turns off automatically for longer exposures and/or when in Bulb mode?

EDIT: SR is OFF (it is greyed out with a red slash through it).

NOTE that this was happening with the lens cap on, in MF mode?

08-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The shake reduction circuit always engages, even when you turn SR off, because it has to keep the sensor floating steady. The only thing turning SR off does is instruct the camera to not attempt shake compensation, to avoid accidental motion blur when you're using a tripod.

So the sound you're listening might be the SR circuit. If it's shaking a lot it could be faulty though.
08-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may be completely off base here, but maybe....

Are you using a manual or auto focus lens? Manual maybe with auto focus switch on auto? Auto focus screw trying to turn and nothing there to turn? Grinding against a non auto lens mount flange?

Yeah it's a long shot, and I've never had a similar problem with my K-x using manual lenses, even when trying to use catch in focus with the manual/auto focus switch on, but I suppose it might be possible and though it would be worth suggesting.

Another thought...auto focus lens and the auto focus screw not engaging correctly?
08-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, very strange. I've found that if I hold my iPhone running DSLR.Bot with my homemade IR cord near the IR port on the K-x, it makes the weird vibrating/buzzing noise. This will happen when the cord is a metre away or closer. I think it only happens when the shutter is open.

08-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwolfie Quote
Ok, very strange. I've found that if I hold my iPhone running DSLR.Bot with my homemade IR cord near the IR port on the K-x, it makes the weird vibrating/buzzing noise. This will happen when the cord is a metre away or closer. I think it only happens when the shutter is open.
Sounds like EMI, you could try shielding the cord with over-braid or changing it out for a shielded one.