Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D Problem with Mirror?

My mom recently got a K10D used--about a week ago. Today she was shooting photos of the bright sky and found that the images were coming out half black, or with a steep black gradient through them (horizontally). The effect is almost like using a powerful graduated ND filter or something. We determined the problem was happening above around 1/1000s shutter speed. Shooting at speeds less than that the photos look fine. I think she must be seeing part of the mirror in her shot--and that the mirror is not moving fast enough? Tried fresh batteries, different lenses, camera reset to factory settings, etc. Problem still persists, though very consistently at shutter speeds faster than 1/1000s. I am thinking it's the mirror due to the horizontal nature of the gradient, if it were the shutter, the issue would be vertically, correct?

Anything else I should try? I am thinking that maybe the mirror needs some lubrication or something. Any good recommendations on where to get the camera fixed? She is going to talk to the seller (transaction was not here) first, but they said the camera did not have issues before shipment. We don't have a local repair shop due to our rural setting. If it's a relatively simple fix I might be able to tackle it.

Thanks!!

Last edited by sb in ak; 08-22-2012 at 05:47 PM.
08-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course, a photo is worth a thousand words... 1/2000s, f/5.6, ISO 100, was on spot metering but it is the same on other metering modes. Pentax 50-200mm.

08-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I could be wrong but...

The mirror flips UP. The image hits the sensor upside down. So, the darkness across the top of the image should be something blocking the bottom of the sensor. What, I don't know. But if I'm right, it can't be the mirror.
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

my guess would be shutter failure. I would try to get a refund if so.

08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what it seems to be after a thorough search on the forums. Thanks. Will try the refund approach and go from there....