Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Need help to choose the right lens.. complete novice.

My hubby recently bought me a 2nd hand Pentax K100d. It was bought from a local photographer who was upgrading his portrait camera, but I am wanting to use it for equestrian events, lots of movent I haven't got a clue about the different lenses so I've been thrown in at the deepend & I'm really stuck
Could anyone help with my dilemma? Suggest a suitable lens? I have searched ebay for >SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 Prime lens< as I have been told previously that this would be the best lens? I do need an auto focus though and a few are advertised as >A< which I unterstood to mean auto but are in fact manual focus... Humphhh, so stuck at the minute Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance xx

Oh the lens currently fitted is a (full title) SMC PENTAX DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55MM

08-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Try using the 18-55mm first, see what limitations it has, then think about upgrading. Without knowing the exact scenario, it is hard to recommend something.
08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for your reply Elliot I have tried the 18-55 a few times now but seem to get too much of a movement blurr around the hoof The events I am taking these pictures at will not allow me into the jumping/show arena to take shots so I am having to use full zoom from the side-lines and i just assumed this is where I would be losing quality & speed. xx
08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What aperture, shutter speed and ISO are you using in situations like this?

08-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NikNak1980 Quote
I have tried the 18-55 a few times now but seem to get too much of a movement blurr around the hoof 1x
I may suggest that you shake that the K100D in-camera shake reduction is on (SR = On). The previous owner might have switchted it off.

Further use Center Focus point. It may help you to focus to single point and may provide a better result.

The 18-55 is not a bad start for a zoom lens with AF.
08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think a good place to start would be the DA55-300 lens. The F70-210/4-5.6 is probably even a little better in terms of image quality, but it's not quite as versatile with its lesser zoom range on both ends. However, it is less expensive - especially if you get the Takumar version: Takumar-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database This is the one I have, and I find it quite good.

While I think you'll really need one of the above lenses - or something similar - just to get enough zoom, you should first try ISO 1000 or even ISO 1250 with your 18-55 lens. At the same time, set the camera to Av mode and set the aperture to the lowest number possible (such as 5.6 when zoomed to 55mm). If your shutter speed then goes up to somewhere between 1/400 and 1/800 (or faster) you have a good chance of stopping the motion. If the shutter speed doesn't get fast enough, then see below:

The A50/1.7 is a fantastic lens which can help stop the motion, but it doesn't have Auto Focus and it may not get you close enough. If 55mm on the 18-55 does get you close enough, then try the brand new Auto Focus Pentax DA50/1.8 lens instead.

Also, the K100D is a good camera - I had one. But depending on the lighting conditions, you may find that you still need to increase the ISO setting in order to reduce the motion blur. In this case a K-x or K-r would do better (of course, so would the higher scale K-5 or K-30 - though not necessarily that much better than the K-x or K-r). These four cameras can use ISO settings of 5000 or higher with good results.

Finally, if all this doesn't work, you could get a really high quality, faster lens such as the excellent DA*50-135, but it's much more expensive (although still a good value compared to other brands)! Try the cheaper options first - there's a good chance they'll do the trick.

Last edited by DSims; 08-22-2012 at 08:31 PM.
08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Can you post a pic so we can see the conditions in which you are shooting? Include shutter speed, aperture and ISO as well as focal length if you can.
08-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I may suggest that you shake that the K100D in-camera shake reduction is on (SR = On). The previous owner might have switchted it off.

Further use Center Focus point. It may help you to focus to single point and may provide a better result.

The 18-55 is not a bad start for a zoom lens with AF.
Good points, except that SR is unnecessary and should usually be off for action shots, which should have a fast enough shutter speed (well over 1/125s) to avoid the camera shake issue. Having SR on in this case can sometimes add blur, if anything.

08-22-2012, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
Indoor or Outdoor events?
Hopefully the answer is outdoor - indoor is going to be a challenge. Not impossible, but a challenge.

Full zoom sounds like you are using your lens at 55mm already. Are you happy with the size of the subject - is the horse big enough in the photo? If not, you need a "longer" lens, more than 55mm. Since it's moving, ideally the horse would take up maybe two-thirds of the frame and have some space in front of it. The idea is to give the horse some room in the photo to run into. So maybe you don't need that much longer of a lens.

If some of the horse is reasonably sharp but the hoof is blurry, the focus is probably OK and the camera isn't moving. The horse's foot is just moving too fast for the shutter speed you've used. That's good, it means you're close to gettiing a good shot. You just need a faster shutter speed. Your camera has a couple of modes for this type of shot. One is a Moving Object mode, using some preprogrammed settings for moving subjects. The other mode is Tv, or Shutter Priority. It's meant for you to control the shutter speed directly. You would put the mode dial on Tv, then use the e-dial to set the shutter speed to 1/500 sec. or maybe faster - 1/750 sec. The shutter moves faster and the horse photo is perfect.

You probably will run into some real-world issues. That's where you will become a photographer! It's exciting. A faster shutter speed lets less light reach the sensor. There may not be enough light to take a photo that's bright enough. The camera has different sensitivies. That setting is called ISO. You can compensate for less light by raising ISO. It might be best to set the camera to Auto ISO. I think on the K100D you press the Fn button on the back, the right arrow on the controller, then choose Auto ISO and OK. The tradeoff with higher ISOs is more grain in your photo.

The other way to let more light into the camera is to open up the aperture on the lens. This is a limitation on your current lens. Zoomed all the way, it only opens to f5.6. Smaller numbers are better here, and can be way more expensive, even for a small gain. In general, lenses that don't zoom at all ("prime" lenses) let in much more light. The tradeoff is, they don't zoom. The fastest zooms that will mount on your camera open to f2.8, allowing you to use a shutter speed four times faster than your current lens. The fastest autofocus prime lenses that will work on your camera open to f1.4, allowing a shutter speed 8 times faster than your current lens.

This is why indoor is not ideal, because you have no light to work with. As far as your camera is concerned, it's really dark. That means everything else is pushed to its limits. Normally you'd fix this with flash, probably a bad idea for horses. You might try panning - following the horse's motion along and taking the shot at one point. To do this, you should prefocus at a particular jump, then turn off autofocus (the AF/MF switch on the front left of the camera). Set the shutter speed much lower, like 1/60 sec. or less. The exact number depends on the horse's speed and distance from you. With a lower speed, you'll get more light into the camera and more flexibility for other settings. If it works, the shots look great too, but the technique needs practice to be successful.

That might be enough information for you to narrow down your choices a little. Unless the horse is really small in the frame right now, my first suggestion is the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 prime lens. It will give you shots that are a bit wider than your current lens, but allow enough light in to fix the other issues. It's autofocus and should perform better than your current lens. It might even be good enough for indoors. It's also not very expensive.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 08-23-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: forgot about 50/1.4!
08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NikNak1980 Quote
SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 Prime lens< as I have been told previously that this would be the best lens?
Not sure who told you that, granted it is a good lens but 'best'? First it is a 50mm which you already have in your 18-55mm kit zoom so it is not going to get you any closer. And second it is a manual focus lens, and you state you need auto focus. I think that makes it not the best lens.

A very short primer on Pentax lenses:
Pentax-M film era all manual, both focus and exposure
Pentax-A film era manual focus auto exposure
Pentax-F film era auto focus auto exposure, modern cameras can read the lens info
Pentax-FA film era auto focus auto exposure, modern cameras can read the lens info
Pentax-DA digital era lenses auto focus auto exposure; designed for crop sensor digital cameras although some can be used on film as well

As noted above one of the tele-zooms would be better for shooting fast moving horses. I would agree with either the DA 55-300 or the F 70-210. I have both and either would work. To do the job properly the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is possibly the 'best' but that is big, heavy and expensive.

The 18-55 you have is not a bad lens at all, have you tried it? With what results? For general shooting you would have to spend quite a bit of money to do better. The biggest draw back I see for what you are intending to shoot is that it only goes to 55mm, and I suspect that is too short.

But you do not state what is wrong with your current lens so I would try that first and see what is limiting you before you spend money on new lenses.
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

If the lens you have not is long enough you might want to look at the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 or similar lens.How far away from the action are the pictures being taken?
08-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #12

Most equine photo failures I see are the result of not being close enough (or zoomed in enough) and/or not being in focus. I would therefore recommend an auto-focus zoom in the 50-200mm range. My "farm kit" is a K100d, usually with a Sigma 70-300 APO DG, but sometimes the 50-200 Pentax. I use the 50-200 for small ring work and portraits, and the 70-300 for large rings and pasture work. Both are inexpensive. The k100d will produce very nice outdoor photos as long as you do not have to crop too much. Using a telephoto will help minimize cropping. A 50mm lens will force you to get so close that you will interrupt a horses natural activity, and they will either stop what they are doing and come over to see what you are doing, or move away. A telephoto will allow you to remain at a distance and not interfere with their activity, and also allow you to stay out of the way should they start to run. (I know a number of horse photographers who have been run down while looking through the viewfinder)
08-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

oops, double entry

Last edited by wizofoz; 08-23-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: double entry
08-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

if you think that a 50mm will get you close enough then you have this option -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/196074-sale-s...mm-f1-4-a.html

the fastest AF 50mm Pentax ever made.

Or, you could try this if you need more length on a budget

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/196500-sale-p...50-200-ed.html
08-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
if you think that a 50mm will get you close enough then you have this option -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/196074-sale-s...mm-f1-4-a.html

the fastest AF 50mm Pentax ever made.
Wow, I must have been half asleep last night. I completely forgot that lens.