Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Loose front cap.

At long last I've managed to get my hands on the Pentax shift lens! I'm looking forward to using it. One minor problem: the front cap fits so loosely that it could easily fall off. Can anyone recommend a way of tightening it up that isn't likely to introduce a sticky residue that might get on the front element?

Many thanks!!

08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's your lens, you should know the filter size for this lens, no? Just buy an aftermarket centre/side pinch lens cap and put away the push on cap in a safe place, should you decide to sell the lens down the road.
08-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I recall that the cap is a metal wide rimmed and felt lined?

If you want to try a thin two sided tape photo or book tape, not carpet or foam core. The felt can be pulled off then reapplied.

A more durable would be contact cement and mask areas not to be tacky. If the felt has degraded a lot then it is best to find a replacement felt.
08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

With any lens I bought, the first thing I do is to put the original lens cap in a box. The cap will stay there until I need to sell the lens.

In its place is a lens cap with center pinch bought from Deal Extreme such as this one. To make the cap less slippery, I attach two small strips of sandpaper to the center pinch. Here's an example:

08-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Guys! (It's a metal cap. If it was ever felt lined, the felt is long gone.) Should have thought of an after market pinch cap, but didn't
08-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
after market pinch cap
I own same pinch cap as SOldBear shows above, but do make certain the clearance of the front element to the bottom of the cap. Some of the variations of the cap seem thicker than others. As an example with a Pentax 6X7 75mm 4.5 lens and I have one version of the 82mm cap that can touch the element when it is pushed down too far... finding out be the tiny scratch left on the lens now...

on the Pentax shift lens!
I've not had the pleasure of owning the Pentax 28mm Shift, but I would be concerned if the front element is a little too far forward past the name ring. A shift lenses usually needs the extra edge clearance to allow for the extreme correction of angle. Do consider trying a craft or fabric store to replace the missing felt of the original lens cap if it is still in good shape to beused.
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
I own same pinch cap as SOldBear shows above, but do make certain the clearance of the front element to the bottom of the cap. Some of the variations of the cap seem thicker than others. As an example with a Pentax 6X7 75mm 4.5 lens and I have one version of the 82mm cap that can touch the element when it is pushed down too far... finding out be the tiny scratch left on the lens now...

I've not had the pleasure of owning the Pentax 28mm Shift, but I would be concerned if the front element is a little too far forward past the name ring. A shift lenses usually needs the extra edge clearance to allow for the extreme correction of angle. Do consider trying a craft or fabric store to replace the missing felt of the original lens cap if it is still in good shape to beused.
Thanks! A quick check confirms that the front element does project in the way that some fisheye lens do and the Sigma 8-16 for example. I'll have to come up with a way of re-lining the inner rim of the cap with a felt substitute that doesn't involve anything too sticky.
08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'll have to come up with a way of re-lining the inner rim of the cap with a felt substitute that doesn't involve anything too sticky.
Try a home center (e.g. Home Depot) at the furniture parts section. There should be felt pads like this but in something like 6"X4" sheets. You can cut it to size.