Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Intervalometer not working after 1 shot

Hi all,

This may or may not be an issue with my K-x, so bear with me.

I recently purchased a little iPhone app called "DSLR.Bot", some of you may have heard of it - it's pretty nifty. I bought it to allow Bulb (> 30s) exposures for astrophotography. You need an IR cable for it to work, I made my own as per the DSLR.Bot link to the guide on the Instructables website. The first exposure always works, as follows:

1. Start app, set exposure to 35s, delay to 5-7 seconds (more than enough for image processing/saving etc), repeat to 9999.
2. Press start - shutter opens as expected.
3. 35 seconds later...
4. Shutter closes as expected.
5. Delay timer kicks in
6. 5-7 seconds later...
7. Exposure timer starts again (as if to assume that another "open shutter" signal has been fired off) but...nothing...? The red light is flashing near the IR receiver to let me know that the camera IS ready for another IR input.

Any ideas? Thought this may be a setting in the K-x or something. The creator of the app seems to have gone AWOL, as it's a slightly dated app.

EDIT: Strangely enough, using Mode 1 (toggle shutter in Bulb) or Mode 2 (hold shutter in Bulb) has the same effect - First exposure is fine, second never works.

Last edited by maxwolfie; 08-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.
08-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure how it works, I've never used this feature before. Hopefully someone else can help you out soon.
08-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

does the Kx do DFS, if yes then that is most likely the problem.
08-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
does the Kx do DFS, if yes then that is most likely the problem.
It does, however I have the hack that allows you to disable DFS. So yes, that would have been the issue, but it's not

08-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried shorter exposure times (1s or less)? Maybe the delay times include exposure time, so if using 35s exposure the delay has to be 40s.
08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yep, tried that one too...
08-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
use a cell phone or cheap p&s camera to view the infrared output of the device - it won't tell you if the code is correct, but it will at least let you know for sure it is firing.

edit: alternatively, fire the first shot away from the camera, then point it at the camera for the second