Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #1

Pentax powerzoom FA* 1:2:8 28-70mm

Good morning,

I have a problem with the mentionned lens and would like to know if it can be repaired.The 'switch'(don't know if the name is appropriate) on the lens is not present as per previous owner,it fell down once causing it not to zoom automatically when connected with the K10D.

Can someone please advise whether the lens can be repaired and if so,kindly inform me about the costs etc?

Thanking you.

Kind Regards,
Y.

08-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
It's WAY cheaper to just buy another one on e-bay than get that one fixed. I've got 2 and paid less than $20 for one and less than $10 for the other (that's why I have 2 ) The broken switch is common, so make sure that any you buy on-line are OK before you bid / pay.

EDIT: Just noticed it's a 2.8. Disregard everything I said. Haven't had caffeine yet!

Last edited by post_eos; 08-26-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Half asleep
08-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try here Eric has a good reputation on this forum.
08-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the Power Zoom work on your K10D when you rotate the zoom ring? If you're talking about the small switch missing on the side of the lens barrel used to change modes this will not affect Power Zoom operation on your K10D. Those modes only work on film cameras such as the PZ series bodies.

On a digital SLR the only Power Zoom function is the actual power zooming and I believe with the 28-70 you also get the automatic retraction upon shutting power off.

If the lens doesn't power zoom when the zoom ring is set to Power Zoom you have other problems with the lens on top of just the missing switch.

09-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your reply.I need to check this out and will revert back.

Kind Regards,
Y.
10-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Forum Member

power zoom repair

Haven't found a earlier post discussing this. I hope it is fine posting on this older thread

I am interested on fixing power zoom on FA* 1:2:8 28-70mm. I have found that the power zoom should work on K-5 and it seems it should also work on new K-3.
The lens autofocus still functions fine but the power zoom button/switch is completely missing. Is there anyway how to fix it? As the lens has been made only till 2004 there will be no spare parts. But would there be a way to use the parts from another cheaper lens (e.g. 28-80)?

thanks for you help
10-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The only function supported on DSLRs is the power zoom via the focusing ring. The PZ1 supported other functions including image size tracking and zoom throughout exposure, but none of these is supported by the DSLR line.

If you simply remove the switch completely you can use the zoom as a normal zoom, it is not that bad a lens
10-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote
Haven't found a earlier post discussing this.
See my post above, it will answer your question. Also, Lowell is correct; the switch and button won't offer you any additional functions on a DSLR.

10-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Thank you for your responses.
Let's consider now the second part of my post. Would it be possible to repair the lens "cosmetically" with the spare parts from other cheaper lens? It would not offer me more functionality for the DSLR but the lens could look OK.
Would this also fix the additional functions for standard SLR?
10-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Let's consider now the second part of my post. Would it be possible to repair the lens "cosmetically" with the spare parts from other cheaper lens? It would not offer me more functionality for the DSLR but the lens could look OK.
I took off the zoom ring on my FA 28-80 and taped over the outside portion temporarily , so I could fill the gap with black epoxy and smooth the inside surface so it did not interfere with the lens barrel, it was not perfect, but for a $10 lens why nit
10-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm not sure the switches are the same size between the FA series and FA* series, as one is rounded on one end and the other is a rectangle. Sorry I can't help much here. I don't know the answer to your question as I've never owned a non-* Power Zoom lens, but here's a photo comparison between the FA 28-80 and FA* 28-70 switches:

It may be worth contacting someone like Eric in the US, or another reputable Pentax repair shop, to see if they have the parts needed...
10-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
Forum Member

Yes, this is exactly what I have been searching for during yesterday. And came to the same conclusion. I have been also comparing the switches of other power zoom lenses (FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7, FA 28-105mm F4-5.6, FA 70-200mm F4-5.6, FA 100-300mm F4.5-5.6, FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL, FA* 80-200mm F2.8 ED [IF], FA* 250-600mm F5.6 ED [IF]) and they seem to differ.
I found some other posts about repairing the switch within the same lens but none discussing inter-compatibility between lenses.
I will try to contact Eric as suggested.

thanks a lot for your help