Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus peaking and aging eyes

Focus peaking sounds like a great idea, and I'd love it for my manual lenses. But, like almost all people who reach a certain age, it gets much harder to read things close to your eyes. This is rectified with the diopter control on a camera, but, what about focus peaking? Wouldn't it be hard to use for people 40+ for that reason?

Thanks

Steve

08-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think a coloured focus peaking system would work pretty well whatever your eyesight. (As long as you're not also colourblind - lol!)

Whether the K30's focus peaking would work for you I guess depends on your vision. If you can make out text in a book etc at about a foot, it would probably work fine. If not you would have to resort to your reading glasses or the OVF, perhaps with one of those S-type focussing screens. The only way of telling would be to try it out in store.
08-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Focus peaking shows a bright white light where the focus is. Additionally, because peaking is used in live view, you can hold the camera further away from yourself, if that helps. There are also LCD hoods and some might have a diopter setting.
Hmmh, there are also videos of focus peaking online, did you check those out? Just to get a general idea. My eyes, while being far from perfect, work pretty well with focus peaking. But I am not yet near the age of 40, so I can't make that call.
08-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The EVF of the NEX has a diopter.

08-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was actually thinking about the k01. i hadn't seriously considered that camera due to the lack of a OVF, slow focus and missing exposure modes, but I was playing with the idea of getting one, adding an M42 adapter and using it for those M42 lenses. It seems like it would be a good combination as it has focus peaking and the AF speed wouldn't be so much of an issue. Of course, I would need to make sure I have enough spare cash burning a hole in my pocket for that
08-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As you rotate the focus ring and the image goes in and out of focus you will see a white highlight on all edges that are in focus. Depending on the subject (e.g. a single object in front of a background) you should be able to tell just from the change in color and brightness that you are in focus. Keep turning the ring in both directions to be in and out of focus and when you see the maximum brightness change then you are in focus. The image will be blurry if your eyes cannot focus that close, but definitely can tell the changes. If you have multiple subjects and want to focus on a particular one then you need to see them clearly.

During the Pentax tour in Atlanta earlier this month, I played with the K-01 and its peak focus mode. My vision is perfect past 3 feet but I use reading glasses for shorter distances. It worked very well with or without glasses. Since it is an LCD you can hold the camera at arm's length and that helps.
08-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. It sounds like it might be doable....hopefully won't have to hold it at arms length since that reduces stability.

08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No idea why everyone try to explain it with words while there are videos online that actually show it.
I know its the K-01 but it's the same.

08-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would like to see a video of focus peaking working in low light (2EV, for example)...could anyone post a video, please?
I'm trying to decide if i'll buy a K-30 or not D:
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I would like to see a video of focus peaking working in low light (2EV, for example)...could anyone post a video, please?
I'm trying to decide if i'll buy a K-30 or not D:
Would it work differently then live-view?
08-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Would it work differently then live-view?
Well, with the noisy image and the slow shutter speed, the live view doesn't look good...maybe the focusing peaking becomes unusable.
08-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe, my slowest lens is f/2.8 so never had much problems with the K5 and liveview in that regards.
08-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
i wish ( i'm in denial ) they would just give us bigger viewfinders instead of this peaking stuff, i tried it on the sony nex and it's not that great. a large viewfinder is what i want ( i'm a dreamer )
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, even using a 1.7 lens gets pretty messy at such low light conditions, so i wanted to know how it would operate.
08-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
i wish ( i'm in denial ) they would just give us bigger viewfinders instead of this peaking stuff, i tried it on the sony nex and it's not that great. a large viewfinder is what i want ( i'm a dreamer )
I think it's amazing, and a must have feature for me from now on. Using a 5d mark 2 or 3, I find it harder to nail focus, than with focus peaking.