Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic Mirror return

I have looked to see if someone else had reported this problem, but no luck. I bought a eBay Spotmatic F in rather good condition except for one problem. At speeds less than 1/15 second, the mirror remains in the up position. Any ideas anyone? Just noticed that if I hold it upside down, it will sometimes work OK at the slow speeds. Seems something is not engaging when the delay time operates.

Last edited by arnold; 08-26-2012 at 11:03 PM.
08-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I noted on mine the sponge had dissolved a little bit leaving a slight trace on the bottom of the mirror. I figured that was enough to have the mirror stuck up after firing. I cleaned it (read scratched at it with my fingernail) and its been ok :P
08-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
I noted on mine the sponge had dissolved a little bit leaving a slight trace on the bottom of the mirror. I figured that was enough to have the mirror stuck up after firing. I cleaned it (read scratched at it with my fingernail) and its been ok :P
I replaced the mirror foam. It is not "sticking" but being firmly held up by spring action.
08-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Ah. well I'm out

Sorry dude.

08-27-2012, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
A common problem is that energy is lost from stiff rollers. This will cause the second curtain not to drop... is the curtain still open when this happens?

Note green circle as the normal starting point for the arm and the ending of travel as pointed by arrow A
Note arrow B as where the arm will hang up if stuck.

Normally a good Clean-Lube-Adjust is needed to correct this.
08-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the response from you both. The shutter does close with a shuss type squeak noise rather than a snap, but that maybe because the mirror isn't closing., As I mentioned, holding it upside down seems to help most of the time, so gravity must be acting on some catch it seems. Is your picture the topside?
It is only below 1/15 sec that this happens. I'm not at all familiar with the inner workings, but wonder if the slow speed delay mechanism trips the mirror in a different way.

Last edited by arnold; 08-27-2012 at 06:22 AM.
08-27-2012, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
It is only below 1/15 sec that this happens. I'm not at all familiar with the inner workings, but wonder if the slow speed delay mechanism trips the mirror in a different way.
low speeds will have less momentum and depending on the friction. Upside-down changes slightly the dynamics of some parts either resting on the mechanism base or hanging by the studs that are locked to and therefore less friction.

Important to note to you or others reading... Servicing the shutter with a quick squirt of oil could mess up the camera permanently ... no WD40 or any other stuff!

Lighter fluid can help, but not blindly dropped in.

To best work on the camera requires the opening up of the face of the camera to access the parts.
A precision oiler will be need to leave a tiny amounts in the right place and not over oil and contaminate the curtain or ribbons.

I'm sure others may have some advice that is different, but this is how I solved my hang-fire shutters on S1a, SV, SPI, SPII, SP-F, KX, KM, K1000.
08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Onion, thanks a lot, that will come in handy!

08-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks MysteryOnion
08-29-2012, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This has been a help combined with Youtube example
I dipped a pin into very light penetrating oil and just touched the cog shown. I couldn't see the oil there was so little on the end, but miracles, this got my K1000 and SP going fine again.