Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 98
Sensor Spots-Not dust but relatively new

Just in the past couple months I have found some new sensor "stains" on my K5 that appear very similar to the sensor stains that some of the earlier K5s had. They are mostly localized in the center of the frame.

From what I understand, these were already present when the cameras shipped and did not develop over time. I have had my camera for just over a year now and these just started appearing a couple months ago.

Further, my camera did not fall into the serial number range that was mostly affected, which leads me to believe it is unrelated to this issue.

I have used both a rocket blower and well as the Pentax sensor cleaning kit and they have done nothing which leads me to believe the issue is beneath the filter.

They are mostly noticed when the camera is stopped down. I am into landscape photography, however, so this is fairly common for me.

Has anyone else experienced this or can explain to me what may be happening or what can be done to fix it? I am not as worried about the quality of my pictures because they spots are small and can be photoshopped out if necessary. I am worried about resale value, however.

Attached is a 100% crop. I took this using a reverse lens mount because I knew it would bring out the spots.

Any help?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
Seems it might be good to contact Pentax about it.
08-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bristol, NY - Finger Lakes Region
Posts: 131
QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I have used both a rocket blower and well as the Pentax sensor cleaning kit and they have done nothing which leads me to believe the issue is beneath the filter.
Neither of those cleaning tools are effective for stains (stuck on molts/water/oil/chemical). You would have to do a wet cleaning with cleaning fluids meant to remove those kinds of stains.
08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 98
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
Neither of those cleaning tools are effective for stains (stuck on molts/water/oil/chemical). You would have to do a wet cleaning with cleaning fluids meant to remove those kinds of stains.
I forgot to mention that I did use Eclipse solution with the cleaning kit and this had no effect either.

08-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
A wet cleaning will usually get rid of then, but will also tend to leave new spots in different places unless you are a master at it. Are you sure those are the exact same spots as before and not different ones? It is almost impossible to get rid of them completely and you'll usually see something if you stop down to f22 or more. Eclipse definitely leaves a residue (even if not visible to the eye). I've tried every damn product there is pretty much -- I try to keep it clean so I never need a wet cleaning, but when I do it is a two or three step process. 99% sure those are removable spots, it is just not easy...
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member
mysticcowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: port townsend, wa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 968
I had something similar on my K20D that I got professionally cleaned. That worked.
08-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,824
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Eclipse definitely leaves a residue...
Hi

I use ETHANOL which I buy from the local chemist (drug store in your country). This ETHANOL is 99% pure, the 1% is water. 100% pure ETHANOL does not exist. Eclips is pure METHANOL and similarly to ETHANOL will have approx. 1% water content. (Your local chemist store will charge you approx $0.50 for 10 ml for either of them. And it should last you for hundreds of cleans). Pure METHANOL is harder to get so I opt for ETHANOL. Both products cannot be manufactured 100% pure. Therefore when you say ECLIPSE leaves residue behind, this is not possible as there is nothing in it to leave anything behind.

What you are talking about may be the resolved matter left behind by your cleaning action. There is a technique to avoid this by wiping the sensor with a fresh dry swap immediately ofter to get rid of this. Also you may have to repeat the wet clean and dry wipe several times.

Greetings
08-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I use ETHANOL which I buy from the local chemist (drug store in your country). This ETHANOL is 99% pure, the 1% is water. 100% pure ETHANOL does not exist. Eclips is pure METHANOL and similarly to ETHANOL will have approx. 1% water content. (Your local chemist store will charge you approx $0.50 for 10 ml for either of them. And it should last you for hundreds of cleans). Pure METHANOL is harder to get so I opt for ETHANOL. Both products cannot be manufactured 100% pure. Therefore when you say ECLIPSE leaves residue behind, this is not possible as there is nothing in it to leave anything behind.

What you are talking about may be the resolved matter left behind by your cleaning action. There is a technique to avoid this by wiping the sensor with a fresh dry swap immediately ofter to get rid of this. Also you may have to repeat the wet clean and dry wipe several times.
Well, that's all I mean -- when I used Eclipse I had spots same as before, just in new locations. Maybe less spots, but still there. I had bettor luck with other solutions and yeah you do definitely have to do a post-cleaning of your cleaning in any case. I generally can get rid of all the dust but those droplet type things (which I cannot see on the sensor, even with a loupe) that show up at tiny apertures -- never been able to eliminate them 100%. I just don't use tiny apertures since you get diffraction effects anyway...

08-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 98
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

I left my cleaning kit at my parents house when I go home next to visit I will try cleaning again and see if the location of the spots does indeed change. I may look into getting it professionally cleaned as well if I am unable to remove them.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, couple, issue, months, pentax help, sensor, spots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 being exchanged: Spots accumulating too quickly on sensor, dust beneath OPLF bwDraco Pentax K-5 3 04-04-2012 08:06 PM
Dust spots in the viewfinder bychan Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 09-22-2011 05:32 PM
K-x spots, but not dust? kwe_mtu_ee Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 05-22-2011 07:10 PM
Dust spots when using 50-300mm? apakoh Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 11-28-2010 09:05 PM
Dust spots on sensor? Rottie*Lover Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 01-27-2008 01:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top