Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Did I just kill my *ist DL?

Help!

I just loaded the v1.03 firmware update onto my *ist DL and now it's not working. Everything appeared to go fine through the update, then when the screen said "COMPLETE", I shut the camera down and removed the SD card. When I turned the camera back on with no card, nothing happened. I changed out the batteries and tried it again. Now, the top display comes on but the back display doesn't. When I press the shutter release, the camera focuses but won't take a picture. I've tried it with the card I used for the upgrade (with the firmware file removed) and again with another card that I had been using to take pictures. What should I do now? Am I screwed?

08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Normally if it says it's complete then you should be fine, but if your batteries were low, then there's a chance that something could have gone wrong. Does the rear display come on when you press the DISP button?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, the rear display does not come on at all. I've tried pressing every button. I put a fresh set of batteries in before I did the upgrade, but they were spent afterwards and I replaced them with another fresh set. The "COMPLETE" message was up on the screen for a good little while before I turned it off.
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you turned it on whilst holding down the MENU button?

08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. Nothing happens.
08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Run the firmware update again 'blind' - you will have to select OK without being able to read the display and then hope that it happens, all whilst not knowing what's going on. On the bright side, you shouldn't make things any worse. Also, what batteries were you using? - maybe try a different type. All rechargeables are lower voltage than lithiums or alkalines, even when fully charged, this could matter.

The above probably won't work, so I'm afraid you're going to have to take it to get fixed and tell them what happened.
08-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All right. I'll try that. Nothing to lose, right? I was using a fresh set of Eveready alkalines when I did it the first time. I've got a set of NiMH batteries sitting in the charger. I'll try them this time and see what I get.

08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay. I tried that and there was no change. I don't think the camera actually tried to load the firmware on the second attempt. I let it run for three minutes before shutting it off. The red LED below the Fn button never lit up the whole time.

Last edited by E-man; 08-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.
08-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That's a real shame.
Get a couple of quotes for the repair.
If it's more than, say, $100, I would make the leap to a K10d for $200, a kx or kr, or k7 for about $400-500 or just go the whole hog and buy a new camera.
08-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too bad that happened. Cost me $300.00 and 2 trips to CRIS to get my K-7 back up and running, after FW update went wrong.
Get a K-5, they are not very expensive anymore.
08-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I got off the phone with Pentax and it looks like that's going to be a $250 repair That's a bit pricey considering I have about $170 (including shipping) in the camera and lens. I'm thinking the better course of action might be to find another camera body and then get whatever I can for this one on eBay to help offset the cost. I guess this is proof positive of the validity of the old adage that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
08-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Yeah, I got off the phone with Pentax and it looks like that's going to be a $250 repair That's a bit pricey considering I have about $170 (including shipping) in the camera and lens. I'm thinking the better course of action might be to find another camera body and then get whatever I can for this one on eBay to help offset the cost. I guess this is proof positive of the validity of the old adage that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
But there is that lure of the new FW being the "cat`s meow "and making the cam. "able to hover" .
Sell it for couple bucks for hardware and call it a day.
08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

E-Man
I am not sure if the ist ds firmware is the same as ist dl
here is how to get the debug on ist ds
switch off
Hold "info" and "ae-l" buttons with 2 fingers and with your third hand, switch the camera on.
If it boots to the debug mode .... well... I don't know what to do then , but post back.

The above procedure forks the camera forever into debug mode until you reset it.
To get back into user mode, do it again:
switch off
Hold "info" and "ae-l" buttons with 2 fingers and with your third hand, switch the camera on.
Then select "debug" > "dis"
switch off
08-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll give that a try and let you know. If it doesn't work, I'll be following Ex-Finn's advice. But quite frankly, I'm not getting my hopes up.
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried, but debug mode didn't work. This camera is well and truly hosed.